Dodge Durango Forum - Forums and Owners Club! banner

2001 Durango w/4.7l towing question

4K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  sporta 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I recently scored a 2001 Durango SLT 4x4 and am in love with it. The only drawback that I see to it for what I want to do is it did not have a receiver hitch on it...so off to pick-n-pull on their half price day! I scored a factory receiver with all the appropriate hardware and a 7 prong plug...I (unfortunately) had to hack the wire off were the loom goes off to the fuel tank/rear end. Question I have for the group is about wiring that in to my existing wiring harness. Any suggestions , can I tap off of the rear tail lights or will there be more involved and I need to search for a complete wiring kit?

Thanks,

Steve

#3 ·
My thoughts on that 7 prong plug. If your Durango did not come with the towing package and you're not going to tow anything that requires the E-brake I would just wire in a standard 4 prong connector. If you need to E-brakes you'll need to purchase a controller and wire in the whole system to the 7 prong plug. You could just run the 4 wires to the 7 prong plug even if you don't need the brake.

#4 ·
That's exactly what I ended up doing, finally lol. I picked up one of the adapter kits (https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_7551581) and spliced my 7 prong plug into it...I also found out that I need to get an external transmission cooler before I tackle too big of loads...had to tow my dad's 2007 Mercedes C-230 Sport from Grass Valley, CA to Reno, NV...just a few miles up Hwy 20 I got the dreaded Transmission Over Temp ID10T light....pulled over, waited a few minutes and took off again...kept the overdrive off and didn't push my luck or the D too hard...made it no problems....actually coming over Donner Summit, I picked up about 10 mph from the bottom to the top of the hill...the beast pulled just fine..but I don't want to push my luck with out the tranny cooler....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.