Dodge Durango Forum - Forums and Owners Club! banner

2001 Durango 4x4 5.9l P1391 code and missing badly

4K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  jkelly16 
#1 ·
I recently aquired a 2001 Dodge Durango 4x4 with a 5.9l with California emissions.

The truck has 212,500 miles on it.

Here is the history of the vehicle as I know it:

Previous owner had a new set of heads installed 5000 miles ago due to cracks in the heads.
He said it run just fine after repair.
He had a complete brake job done on the car and 1000 miles later it quit running with the "no bus" message.
He got another computer somewhere and installed it.
He said that the engine then started up but ran badly like it was starved for fuel and then the "no bus" message after about a minute of running.
He was not mechanically inclined so put it up for sale when I then purchased it.

He had the original computer so I sent it to a place in Illinois that repairs them.
I got it back last Friday and installed it.
The engine started but ran rough while cold and had a high pitched ticking sound coming from the right front of the engine.

I then installed new cap, rotor and wires and the ticking went away.
The plugs in it look new.

The engine stumbles badly when cold but after a few restarts will finally idle and drive great.
After a short drive it will start missing very bad while driving and eventually throw a P1391 code but idle very well.
While running this way the tach needle is bouncing around.

I changed both the crank and cam sensors with BWD parts from the local parts store with no improvement.

I checked the distibutor timing visually and at TDC the cyl one mark on the cam sensor lines up with the rotor.

Still has the original coil in it.

I am at a loss for now trying to figure out what is.

Anyone have any ideas as to where to go?

Thanks in advance

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.