Dodge Durango Forum - Forums and Owners Club! banner

How long a trailer can I tow?

5K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  abqhemi 
#1 ·
We are looking at buying a trailer and we found one we really like but its 33ft long and I'm concerned about towing such a long trailer with a 2007 Durango with a Hemi. I'm pretty sure its got 3.55 gears too. I might swap in 3.92 or 4.10 if possible. I'm just looking for experience towing and what needs to be done to the vehicle for towing.

#2 ·
Abq,

How much does the trailer weigh and what is the tongue weight? I assume that it is a white box trailer. Does your Durango have a factory or aftermarket tow package?

Bill

#3 ·
Its GVWR is 7200 and yeah it has a hitch and wiring but I'm looking at getting airbags and trying to find an aftermarket sway bar kit. It looks like roadmaster has something. I think I need a brake controller though. Not sure how those work yet, still researching.

#4 ·
You don't need airbags, you need a load leveling hitch, sway control and a brake controller (required for any trailer over 3500 lbs, I believe). I use a trunnion style, gives more ground clearance than the "round bar" type. Check Etrailer for hitches. Just because you have a hitch does not mean you have a trailer package, with heavy duty cooling, alternator, trans cooler etc.

Are you in Albuquerque? If so, we will be at the Balloon Fiesta the first weekend in October, front row center with 200 Airstreamers, come by and say Hi.

Bill

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.