Dodge Durango Forum - Forums and Owners Club! banner

What is better an air compressor or and electric cordless impact wrench?

20K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Loud05Rango 
#1 ·
Whats going on durango lovers!

I need help figuring out which one is better, I do some work on my durango and my brothers durango but mostly mine. I was wondering if im going to keep working on our suvs we should get and air compressor so i started looking at a few to buy but was kind of confused to figure out which one was right for me. I came aross a youtube video of a guy owning a cordless impact wrench and started looking at those, but then again i couldnt figure out which one to buy.

The only item that i really had my eye on was the Snap On 1/2 Cordless Impact Wrench #CT6850, I was wondering if anyone owns this model and if its any good? or if theres a better cordless impact wrench?

#2 ·
Personally, I would go with the air compressor. You can do so much more than just use an impact wrench with it. I LOVE my air ratchet. It makes short work of long bolts.
Not to mention airing up tires, blowing dust and dirt from parts and the countless other things you can do with a compressor.

#4 ·
Thanks for your inputs but the problem is I live in a small apartment and I have limited space and the people that live around complain about any little noise so itll be a pain to use the air compressor.

Couldn't I use the impact wrench with swivel sockets as an air ratchet or no?

if I was to get an air compressor what would be the best starter one to buy?

#6 ·
Cordless Electric Impact. Had one of my Soldiers in my last unit bring his to work. It's the only one he uses. Takes those lug nuts off a tank like it was nothing. Granted it cost him $500 for it.

#7 ·
LOL at 'the neighbors will hear the compressor'

The impact wrench itself makes much more noise than the compressor (and typically for longer periods of time, depending on what you are doing.)

That aside, I agree with compressor over cordless. You can even get a compressor on wheels and run an extension cord right out to the parking lot and plug it in there. That should shut those pesky neighbors up!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.