Dodge Durango Forum - Forums and Owners Club! banner

2014 Hemi 5.7 Blue Smoke From Exhaust

10K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  briggs 
#1 ·
Ive been searching around and cant seem to find any current information regarding smoke from the exhaust. My R/T has blue smoke coming from the tailpipes when i start it up in the morning. Less than 1000 miles on it! Does anyone have any personal experience with this problem?

#4 ·
2014 puffs of smoke at first start up.At dealer now for three days said my K&N air filter loaded my air filter box up with oil and that is the problem???.I told them there is not enough oil on the filter to do that.On ***************** I found this star case #S141800028.relates to the intake manifold and pcv valve.i also found a TSB 09-002-13 a revised oilpan incorporates improved windage tray/oil ????

#5 · (Edited)
I went thru this a couple years ago. My best answer was the overflow tube by the filler cap flows back to the air intake. My 2 culprits were: A) parking on a steep angle (I don't know why this mattered but I found a couple other ppl with the same issue) &
B) Firestone uses a hose from a drum that pushes the oil in too quickly & and overflows into this tube.
(Tip: Firestone's standard oil is a semi-synthetic that's rated for use in Hemi's)
Now I tell them every time to add oil s.l.o.w.l.y. and I no longer park on an angle... No more smoke at start-up.
I use K&N also - you're dealer guessed wrong - that's not it unless you put way way too much oil on the filter.

Here's a bulletin...
number: 09-002-13
group: Engine
date: October 09, 2013

subject:
Blue smoke from exhaust on initial start-up when parked facing uphill on an incline

overview:
This bulletin involves selectively erasing and reprogramming the powertrain control
module (pcm) with new software and installing a revised engine oil pan.

Models:
2011 - 2014 (wk) grand cherokee
2011 - 2014 (wd) durango
note: This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with a 5.7l engine (sales code
ezh) built on or before october 1, 2013 (mdh 1001xx).

Symptom/condition:
A small number of customers may experience blue smoke from the exhaust tailpipe when
engine is initially started after an extended cold soak period and vehicle has been parked
facing uphill on a significant incline. This condition is typically the result of oil pull over on
the rear cylinder walls. The revised oil pan incorporates an improved windage tray/oil
scraper that helps reduce the condition. The associated pcm software update
incorporates a reduced engine vacuum feature that is enabled under these conditions
which lessens the effect of oil pull over.

Diagnosis:
Using a scan tool (witech) with the appropriate diagnostic procedures available in
techconnect, verify all engine systems are functioning as designed. If dtc's are
present record them on the repair order and repair as necessary before proceeding further
with this bulletin.

If the customer describes the symptom/condition, perform the repair procedure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.