Dodge Durango Forum - Forums and Owners Club! banner

2002 Durango R/T "no bus" message = no start...help please!

4K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  mrbill 
#1 ·
Hopefully I will receive help on this issue that has come out the the blue...

2002 Dodge Durango R/T, had the doors locked while parked for 4 - 6 hrs, went to unlock the drivers door with my key (I do not have a key fob) the vehicle "panicked" and the horn was blowing for about 3 seconds and stopped on its own. I started the vehicle and it ran for about 15 seconds and just died. I tried restarting and all it would do is crank over. I swapped fuel pump relays and tried disconnecting the battery a few times. I was able to get the truck to restart once, but again, it stopped running shortly thereafter. I had to get the Durango towed back home. While trying different things, I noticed the odometer switched over and gave me the "No bus" message. Also, the speedometer is maxed out and so is the RPM gauge, (see picture)...I've done some online research on this already and it sounds like it could be a few different things...

I did come across the Problem 1 thru 6 process for checking the 5v power supply from the PCM and started going thru that. I found that I DO HAVE 5v at the TPS and MAP sensors...where do I go from here? What I gather from the 1 - 6 process is that if I have the 5v reference voltage at both TPS and MAP sensor connectors, (see picture), then there isn't a problem with the Crankshaft Position Sensor (CKP) and Camshaft Position Sensor (CMP)...correct? Or does this 1 - 6 process even apply to my 2002 R/T model???

I've also read that my PCM could be at fault...Not to jump to conclusions on this...but If so, how do I test this? What is the process about getting a refurbished PCM for my 2002 Durango R/T and making it work? Recommendations on where to purchase a refurbished unit? Will it be plug and play? I only have 1 key for my Durango and it is not a key fob...just a key with (I assume a chip).

Initially I was thinking that this problem has to do with the "security" feature...but now I'm not so sure. Possibly? (I do not hear the fuel pump running when trying to start)

I jumped the fuel pump at the relay station and it DOES run...but truck does not start with it running.

Just seeking help or ideas from anyone who may have experienced this or something similar with their Durango! Thanks in advance!

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
How do I reset the security or disable it? In my readings...I haven't come across anyone mentioning that the security feature is causing the "No Bus" message. The truck has panicked multiple times on me in the past when I unlock the drivers do and never given me a problem. Not trying to say that I don't believe this is a possibility, I would love to be able to disable it just to rule it out and stop inadvertently setting it off...

So, after working on this yesterday, here is where I'm at...From my online research, I found where bad PCM's would start the vehicle when they are cold, but will stop working once they warm up... I read about a bag of ice trick on the PCM as well as freezing the PCM for a few hrs in a freezer. So I thought, what the heck, I'll try this. I placed my PCM in the freezer for a few hours and then reconnected to the vehicle. Immediately it started right up. The truck ran for about 20 min before shutting down on it's own. However...each time it did this, I was able to re-fire.

I also went ahead and replaced the Crankshaft Position Sensor (CKP) and Camshaft Position Sensor (CPS). I am receiving a 5V signal from the PCM at each one of these connectors. From my online research, these two sensors have been known causes for the "No Bus" message and similar symptoms that I'm experiencing with my Durango.

The truck will still start, but sometimes it will idle for 2 min and other times 10-15 min before shutting down. When it shuts down, I still get the "No Bus" message. So I do not think the original CKP and CPS were causing my problems, but being these are the two hardest sensors to replace and knowing that they can cause these symptoms, I figured I'd rule them out...

My next step is to replace the PCM with a reman...anyone have others suggestions?

#5 ·
To let everyone know who may come across this thread, I installed a Plug and Play / remanufactured PCM I purchased off eBay. After about 150 miles of driving, this appears to have solved my issue. Runs 100% as it should and the PCM was 100% plug and play...no relearning my key or visit to the dealership...Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.