Dodge Durango Forum - Forums and Owners Club! banner

Automatic Shutdown Relay

7K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  wheeler12 
#1 ·
Does anyone know the specifications for these?

I have been told by mechanics there is a collision switch that will shut down engine after a collision and also shuts of power to the fuel pump in the tank and this is what it is called.

Anybody got a http on this? I would like to see the entire circuit explaned such as when this happens for fails to happen the ASR will shut down the fuel delivery quickly etc etc.

#3 ·
Thanks much for that. I looked at it and it doesn't explain how the engine is shut down and the exact cause..

What I am trying to figure out is there another switch folks refer to as a collision switch to kills the engine in a wreck. I also understand there is a roll over switch so when vehicle is on side or upside down the engine is killed by shutting off fuel pump.

I found one explanation that says the camshaft and crankshaft position sensors are sending power to Automatic Shutdown Relay and if one of them goes bad it stops the signals and the ASR shuts off power to the fuel pump.

I would really like to find out if there is a collision or does the whole thing center on the position sensors if the engine stops for any reason. They had airbag deployment sensors that work off vibration so it seems like there should be a sensor that would shut off engine.

#4 ·
I think it's position sensors. I had the same problem, and was told i had to replace the controller ( which operates the position sensor input, according to the dealer rep), which I did with a good one off a wrecked Durango, and it's worked since then.

As it is not the PCM, but is the controller mounted by it's side ( drivers side), I'd never have found it. Finding the role and function of the controller, aside from it's wiring and placement, has always been a mistery to me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.