Dodge Durango Forum - Forums and Owners Club! banner

Durango cuts off parked and going down a road at 55

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  jkelly16 
#1 ·
Since I got the Durango with the new Jasper engine on cold mornings if I pulled out and drove 1/2 mile to 1.7 miles and arrived at stop sign it did not want to idle and cut off. Soon as the engine warmed up the problem went away. That was the only time it ever cut off. Could run it all day and never cut off again.

About a month ago I drove it to Spartanburg, everything was fine came home and next morning went to Aiken and filled up and got extra gas on my little trailer and wanted to try it out on longer trip so decided to pull the trailer 31 continuous miles down to Springfield and then back home which would have given me 60+ miles with a medium load on it that day.

That morning I made several stops in town and cut it off 7 times in town, then 32 miles to Springfield where I stopped to go to a bathroom. Came out cranked it up drove 3/4 mile and stopped by a vegetable stand for wife and knew I wasn't going to be there long so left it idling about ten minutes.

Got back in car and realized it had cut off which had never happened after it got warm. It would not crank so a garage was called in Williston,SC that was recommended by a friend and I called my wife to come get me and left key with owner of vegetable stand I knew.

I called the garage the next day and to my surprise when they got there it cranked for them up so they took it back to their shop and cranked it again and let it idle about 30 minutes and it cut off for them. They plugged it in and the codes indicated the crank and cam shaft position sensors were bad so they were replaced both and it ran fine.

Yesterday I drove it to Spartanburg and filled up in Spartanburg at 144 miles on that trip and headed home. Drove it another 95 miles and was driving down the road with cruise set on 55 and noted it was slowing down. I looked and immediately thought the cruise control had become disengaged in but my fingers were not near the controls.

I then noted the RPMs had dropped and realized the engine had shut off. There was absolutely no indication anything was wrong. Temp was right on 198, oil pressure ranged from 52 to 58 lbs depending on speed all day.

I put it in neutral and engaged starter, it would not hit. I rolled to a good place to stop, tried to start it again and it would not hit. Called a wrecker and got pulled home.

The only other time it ever cut off was during my wreck in June 2013 when I got rear ended hard enough for the seat back to fail.

See less See more
#3 ·
Loaded it up on car hauler this morning and took it to shop. They pulled the intake off and sprayed fuel into it and it cranked right up so I am getting new fuel pump.

Also told him to replace ignition switch, both have been in use since 2002 by me so I figure the ignition switch is next thing to go.

Front end was rebuilt a couple years go. I gotta drive the big fella another ten years to get my money out of the engine job haha.

#5 ·
Yes hope so, I gotta drive it another 10 years to pay for the Jasper engine which is running like a champ.

Like I told the wife if it is electronic can can last forever all the way down dropping dead parked in a garage. 14 1/2 years on a fuel pump is well paid for.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.