Dodge Durango Forum - Forums and Owners Club! banner

Got the Durango...need tow advice

7K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  cyndyvj 
#1 ·
Happy with our Durango but after purchasing a trailer I took a look at the owners manual and noticed that if we are towing up in the hills we should have a tow/hitch switch to disconnect the drive line.

How bad is it if I don't have one...and can I get around it by only towing on relatively flat roads?

#3 ·
No - on page 87 of the owner's manual there are two sections. The top is for when you tow a vehicle and the bottom half is for when the vehicle is being towed.

And we've found out part of the problem. The company that sold us the vehicle did not read the fine print that our mechanic did today when we took it in. Apparently there is a tow package that the manufacturer puts in vehicles that includes a drive line disconnect system. Our vehicle doesn't have it and the tow capacity is limited to 3500 pounds as a result. That after being sold a Durango which we were assured could tow 6200 pounds.

Let the fireworks begin! And yes, we will be speaking with the company that sold us our Durango (which we love...but is not what we were told we were getting) once we have all of our facts and figures straightened out. Our mechanic is checking to see if (a) a tow package can be added to the vehicle and (b) what it will cost. That cost WILL be assumed by the company who sold us the car...or they will otherwise make sure we have a vehicle that can tow the trailer we purchased yesterday.

#5 ·
Resolution. Our mechanic put her head together with the local Dodge dealer and we are good to go. Apparently the reference in the owners manual is for four wheel drive vehicles only. Would have been nice if they had actually put THAT into the manual (they did not).

Hatin emotional roller coaster rides right now...but in two days we head out and test the rig.

Thanks all for you insights.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.