99 Durango AC Repair job question - Dodge Durango Forum - Forums and Owners Club!
Dodge Durango Forum - Forums and Owners Club!  

Go Back   Dodge Durango Forum - Forums and Owners Club! > DODGE DURANGO FORUM - Help Zone - Dodge Durango Problems, Complaints, and Solutions > 1ST Generation Dodge Durango: 1998 - 2003 > Dodge Durango Heating & Cooling Problems & Questions
Dodge Ram Dodge Durango Dodge Nitro Jeep
Diesel Forums!
Dodge Ram Forum Dodge Durango Forum Dodge Nitro Forum Jeep Forum
Dodge Challenger Dodge Charger Chrysler 300 Dodge Magnum
Dodge Caliber
Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Charger Forum Chrysler 300 Forum Dodge Magnum Forum

Notices

Old 08-09-2015, 09:22 PM
Dodge Durango Forum Member

RSQCali is on a distinguished road
Default 99 Durango AC Repair job question

I'm in the process or ripping out my AC and replacing the Compressor, Condenser, dryer, expansion valves and hoses. I only have the 2 hoses for the compressor and after the condenser. The old compressor seized and the shop said it blew debris into the condenser.

So my question, AC Flushing. Should I flush the evaporator and lines going to the rear AC? Also I don't have any O-ring lubricant and a mechanic told me I can use olive oil as long as it doesn't have any chemicals added to it. Has anyone else heard of this before or if it is ok?

Thank you
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2015, 01:56 PM

Well in case anyone follows this. I messed up and snapped the bolt off in the evaporator so this has now expanded into the Evaporator and Heater core replacement project as well. I am currently stuck on removing the dash because that is apparently a PAIN to remove. The dash is loose, but hanging on something. More to come later after I consult a few others who have done this project.
Old 08-11-2015, 04:57 PM

Alright, HVAC is out, since it is out I am adding heater core to the project. It was leaking so one less project for next year.

Points for anyone who attempts to do this in the future. Don't cut any corners, I missed a few harness while pulling the dash and it made it a lot harder to go back and disconnect the ones I missed initially. Also another point that is not documented well is the 4 studs behind the HVAC unit that bolt it to the firewall. This video helps to locate them.

One bolt is behind a clip holding a wiring harness. The other is behind the engine block and I had to remove it blind. Once I got it out I had to break it apart. New evaporator and heater core come in tomorrow. Ill get back to the project next week.
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2015, 09:02 AM

Well, I dunno how many people actually read this thread, but I just wanted to put up a final outcome post. Put the whole thing back together and my temperature adjustment did not work, simple fix, put the clip in the back of the temperature control knob that prevents the plastic sheath on the cable from moving.....oops, minor easy fix.

After that, I had no heat. Turned temp over to heat and nothing. All air flow stopped. Didn't have time or patience to pull dash back apart so I took it to a shop and found out the brand new heater core I ordered off RockAuto was NO GOOD. Was bent, and no airflow moved through it. Mechanic pulled it back apart and showed me the heater core and when it was compared to one he just ordered, it was poor quality and very restricted. So he installed a new heater core from NAPA and it worked beautifully with the exception of engine didn't want to start. Found a loose connection in the Junction block, wiggled and it started and ran fine. Then WIPERS DIDN'T WORK. My thought "WTF". Trouble shooted wiring harness, still a little loose, but in place, couldn't get it to snap in place figured it broke the clip off. Spent $100 at a junkyard for a junction block, connectors, and a pretty good shape steering column with all the parts in it. And then another $100 at Advance auto for a new windshield wiper motor my dad was convinced that was the problem, so I figured what the hell. Replaced wiper motor, replaced multifunction switch and Wipers were still shorted out. Went back to my suspicion and looked at the wiring harness that was loose and no stripped or bear wires, not broken plastic. I was lost at that point, then I remembered.....I HAVE A SNAKE CAMERA ON THE CRASH TRUCK. Stuck that up inside and looked at the junction block and found the culprit. A bent pin in the back of the Junction Block... That little devil cost me $200 for parts I didn't need. Oh well, Straighten the pin and put it all back together. Now my baby is back and runs like a champ. Window motor/regulator and back left door lock on order then everything will be mechanically sound. Have one other issue that will be in a new thread.
Old 01-29-2017, 10:15 AM
Dodge Durango Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: Dodge Durango 2002
Trim Level: SLT 4X4
Color: Maroon
wheeler12 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to wheeler12 Send a message via MSN to wheeler12 Send a message via Yahoo to wheeler12

Thank you. Excellent demo of how complex and how much patience and organization the job requires. I have a 2002 Durango with leak in evaporator and 250k miles. I re-pressure test (with dye) the system and replace every junction/part causing every other link last 2 springs. I'm using a shop to recharge and add leak sealer each spring. That gets me through to October. There are a couple other video's on the internet....in one the guy hangs he dash in the air instead of removing it. The job is about 2k now, and not many shops want to do it. It was a big oversight in design, unless you believe in planned obsolesce.
Advertisement