Dodge Durango Forum - Forums and Owners Club! banner

Towing with Durango"s...

15K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  rkmdogs 
#1 ·
Hey, Our Durango"s make great tow vehicles (I just brought my new trailer back from a 700 mile trip to and from PA). My D was not factory equipped for towing so I installed a class3 Curt receiver hitch and the wiring needed to run the trailer lights. Does anyone have experiences with towing or questions about towing scenarios...lets start a thread...kingoftow:D

#3 ·
towing question

I had originally posted this in the newbie section, but here seems more appropriate.

Hi, have not ordered my Durango yet. I have been told by dealer that the trailer tow is in short supply and will only be shipped with the upper models. As I want a base all wheel drive model (sxt here in Canada,or heat 5 passenger) I will order when the restriction is lifted. The package offers great value, and I like the idea of a factory installation.

I want the v6, but have little knowledge about the all wheel drive system. I will be towing a boat, with the boat, motor, and trailer weight, at just under 2000lbs. With 4 people on board at 210 lb. average, and 600 lbs of gear, and a vehicle weight of right around 5000, my total gcvw would be around 8,440. This would be the max I would ever require and would be short hauls 20-30 minutes, with one or two annual trips at about 700 miles round trip.

I know it's early in the model run, but do other owners feel the v6 is up to the task?
Thanks for any input.

#5 ·
Well, I can't speak for the new durangos. But my 00 5.9 has pulled all kinds of stuff. From a 4wheeler trailer to a pop up travel camper to another car. Not once have I had any problem. There's been more than enough power to pull what I want.

#6 · (Edited)
Beast D

Pulled tons of stuff with my Durango. It's a 98 slt 4x4 with the 318. Have pulled probably over 300 lawn mowers with it. I run a lean mower repair buisiness. Also a 26' travel trailer. Car trailers and yesterday it pulled it's biggest load ever a 8,000 lb John Deere 270 skid steer on a 20' car hauler I took pictures if I can get them put up. She could only make it up to about 30 mph before she started to sway.

Attachments

#8 ·
Would you mind putting up some pictures of the hitch and the rear end of the Durango? I am looking at putting the same hitch on my new Durango, and want an idea of what it will look like with the aftermarket hitch versus the factory hitch. I like the look of the factory hitch, but not the price tag. Thanks in advance!!

#9 ·
I have a 99 5.9L and my family used to tow a 28' boat with a full water tank and fuel tank that was 2000lbs over the max towing capacity for 2 YEARS. Had no problems till 2 years after we sold that boat when the transfer case went out. Had it rebuilt and it has no problems

#10 ·
I have a 2005 5.7L Hemi without the towing package. This means that I have the 3:55 rear end and transfer case. I pull a 6300lb 28' trailer with it. The only complaint I have is that it bogs down on even small hills and really strains on large hills. I have considered having the 3:72 or 3:92 gears in the Durango for a cost of about $2200. I'm just not sure if this is wise. I also put the Timken Bump stops in the rear. It really makes a difference when trucks go by or in the wind.

#11 ·
Gear Axle Ratio change 3.55 to 3.92

Looking to replace rear differential assy with 3:55 and 8 1/4" Rear end with 9 1/4" 3:92 Rear end and then new 3:92 gears in the front. This is on a 2005 Durango 5.7L 4WD Automatic. Anyone done this? What was your experience? Thanks, Larry

#12 ·
Towing with 2007 Hemi Durango Limited

I tow a 1994 22 foot Chris-Craft boat and trailer filled with fuel,gear,food, 6 passengers and a puppy to Raystown Lake,Maryland about 200 miles away. Altogether the boat and cargo weigh around 5500 pounds and passengers around 600 pounds We travel there about 4 times during the summer. My 2007 Hemi Durango Limited has 3:55 gears with the tow package and a fresh air tube and a Flowmaster dual exhaust. Towing with this set-up is fantastic. This Durango does not bog down on hills and cruises with boat at 70 mph. We get so many complimnents on the Inferno Red Durango and the Maroon boat. I will never go to another SUV ever.

#13 ·
Hello,
I have just recently purchased my 2003 Durango with the 5.9l engine, specifically to be able to get back to towing.
In the past I have owned 3 RV Trailers; a Skamper 14' Pop-up, a 16' single-axle Winnebago(now obsolete); a 28' - Carri-Lite; and a 31' enclosed car hauler. I towed with a '73 Dodge Maxiwagon, a '78 Dodge Maxiwagon, a '85 Ramcharger, a '89 1T Chevy Suburban; a 2000 Ram Quadcab, a '94 GMC Sonoma, and now plan to use the Durango.
I also did the class A bit ONCE, with a 29' Fleetwood Pace-Arrow!
I have towed an RV from coast-to-coast, and been thru 45 of the States.

So, if I can help anybody with some info, just give me a holler --- glad to help!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.