Dodge Durango Forum - Forums and Owners Club! banner

Brake controller for 2014 Durango

9K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  lwalker222000 
#1 ·
What proportional brake controller will work with the 2014 Dodge Durango?

I contacted Mopar, through my dealer, to find out if the Mopar Integrated Brake Controller is proportional. My dealer did not know. So, my dealer asked Mopar (around December 3, 2013). Mopar's response was that their engineers were working on their Mopar brake controller offering. Mopar does not know if the their controller will be a time delay or a proportional brake controller. Per Mopar (through my dealer), the brake controller that worked on the 2013 Dodge Durango does not work on the 2014 Dodge Durango. The 2013 version actually blows out the tail lights of the 2014 Durango. Mopar said that they have heard that some after market
brake controllers are blowing out the dash lights on the 2014. No one has said which after market controllers work and which do not. My dealer said to call back periodically and they will ask Mopar for a status update. I
have called every few weeks since my first inquiry. As of 2/7/2014, Mopar reports that the "brake controller is still in engineering". (Note: I can't determine if engineering is actively working on a solution or what.)

So, has anyone installed a brake controller on a 2014 Dodge Durango and then pulled a travel trailer with electric brakes?

My 2014 Dodge Durango has the towing package. My prior towing vehicle had a time delay brake controller. It worked but I hear a proportional brake controller works better. I pulled my Airstream trailer 57,000 miles
with my prior configuration. I hope to pull many more miles with my Durango ... but need a brake controller first and soon.

See less See more
#3 ·
Dodge Durango 2014 Brake Controller

In late April 2014, Dodge Mopar finally marketed a brake controller for the 2014 Dodge Durango. When I asked if it was proportional or timing activated, no one seemed to know. Since it was the only brake controller that "for sure" would work on the Durango, I had it installed. Installation was in an awkward place because the Durango now has knee level airbags but it can be reached for manual override when the need arises.

I pull a 3500 GVWR Airstream. The Durango pulls it with ease. Together we have been to Alaska, Vegas, Gettysburg, and many other places. Thanks for the inquiry. Hope you enjoy your Durango as much as I have.

#4 ·
I have a Hemi powered 2014 Limited and use a Tekenosha P3 which handles both electric brakes and electric over hydraulic disc brakes. It works fine for both of my Airstreams with disc brakes and a car trailer which had electric brakes.

Bill Kerfoot

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.