2011 Durango Transmission Issues - Dodge Durango Forum - Forums and Owners Club!
Dodge Durango Forum - Forums and Owners Club!  

Go Back   Dodge Durango Forum - Forums and Owners Club! > DODGE DURANGO FORUM - Help Zone - Dodge Durango Problems, Complaints, and Solutions > 3RD Generation Dodge Durango: 2011 > Driveline
Dodge Ram Dodge Durango Dodge Nitro Jeep
Diesel Forums!
Dodge Ram Forum Dodge Durango Forum Dodge Nitro Forum Jeep Forum
Dodge Challenger Dodge Charger Chrysler 300 Dodge Magnum
Dodge Caliber
Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Charger Forum Chrysler 300 Forum Dodge Magnum Forum

Notices

Driveline Transmissions, Differentials, Axles, Bearings, etc. This forum covers the entire driveline from the Transmission to the wheel bearings!

Old 07-06-2011, 03:28 PM
Dodge Durango Forum Newcomer

kevinpowertv is on a distinguished road
Default 2011 Durango Transmission Issues

Hey guys,

I bought a new 2011 Durango V6 and I love this SUV! It's awesome. However, I've noticed that the transmission is a real dog. The car has plenty of pep and shifts fine, if you're on a flat surface. If you intend on going up a hill, the transmission seems like it becomes confused and cannot figure out what gear to be in. Upon reaching an incline, I practically have to mash the gas pedal down in order for it to down shift. It seems to down shift fine, but then immediately shifts back into a higher gear. This routine occurs over and over again while going up any hill for a long period of time. Out of frustration, I started using the tip-tronic to down shift when needed. When I am cruising around 40-50 mph going up hill, the car tends to stay in 4th gear, so naturally when I need to down shift to 3rd, I hit the shifter down but it shifts all the way down to 2nd! While going 50 MPH, 2nd gear is obviously too low of a gear to be in. It completely skips 3rd.

Is anyone else having this issue?
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2011, 10:55 PM
Dodge Durango Forum Member

soccerbachelor is on a distinguished road

Not at all. I was actually commenting on how my Dad's RAV4 is a dog while starting on a hill and the same kind of thing while cruising up a hill and was so proud of how the Durango didn't do it. I'd take it to the dealer (not sure if it will do much good) and at least have them plug in the STARSCAN and see if maybe there is an internal error or something. These are too nice for such an annoying flaw!
Old 07-17-2011, 05:16 PM

JRRF is on a distinguished road

This tranny is definitely a dog I read somewhere that they are replacing it next year with a 6 speed that will have better spaced ratios, and get better gas mileage. I love my D, but there is no question the transmission has management issues. I have the V8, and with 360 hp this vehicle should be a lot quicker and more responsive. I'll bet with the new tranny it will be.

As for up-shifting so quickly, all cars are that way today for gas mileage reasons. I also use the tiptronic when I need to make something happen. And then I can! Because the engine has ample power.
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2011, 08:24 PM
Dodge Durango Forum Senior Member!

JimD is on a distinguished road
Default 8 Speed

The new tranny for 2012 will be an 8 speed. It is already announced for the 300 and the Charger RT. Our 2011s suffer with the 5 speed. There is very little difference between 2nd and 3rd.
All the press rave about the 2011 Durango except for the tranny. Oh well, nothing is perfect!
Old 08-22-2011, 08:58 PM
Dodge Durango Forum Junior Member

ognarud is on a distinguished road

An 8 speed? I knew I should have waited.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:36 PM
Dodge Durango Forum Senior Member!

JimD is on a distinguished road

Yea! I'm sure it will make a big difference, but I needed a vehicle now and the $4250 in rebates were too hard to pass up. I love it anyway.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:23 PM

jordan0316 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRRF View Post
I have the V8, and with 360 hp this vehicle should be a lot quicker and more responsive.
Not sure if this works on the Durango but on my Avenger you can re-calibrate the throttle response by turning the car to the "on" position, do not start it. once all the dash lights except the check engine light are off slowly and with consistent pressure press the gas pedal all the way to the floor taking approximately 15 seconds. This made a huge difference in the throttle response for my Avenger. Plus it's free so if someone wants to give it a shot and let us know if it works on the new Durangos as well. We have an '02 otherwise I would try it myself.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:00 AM

soccerbachelor is on a distinguished road

Good call, I've never heard of that. There were other tricks with my old Charger but this one is new. I am out to sea but will be home in 5 days so I'll try it then if nobody else has by then. Thanks!
Old 09-01-2011, 07:10 PM

dwrd960 is on a distinguished road

Let me know if that works. I just test drove an express today and was a little disappointed, but love everything else about the new durango. Should be picking mine up this weekend.

Tim
Old 09-29-2011, 07:57 AM

properties is on a distinguished road

Does the v6 engine really works good for the size of this SUV?
Advertisement