Dodge Durango Forum - Forums and Owners Club! banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to the forum and hopefully someone can help. Just purchased an 02 Durango with a 4.7. only 72500 miles. Love the truck, rides like brand new. While driving home from the dealer, about 45 minute trip, the check gauges light came on. It looked like it was starting to overheat and there was low oil pressure. When I got home checked the fluids and everything was good. When I left for work the next day. Everything was good.(oil pressure and temp) after about 10 minutes the oil pressure dropped to the 1st line on the gauge and the temp started rising. I put the defroster on and it kept it from going all the way up but still in my opinion running hotter then it should be. At 1 point the oil pressure dropped to zero for a second or 2 the went back to where it was. when I got back to work I checked the fluids again still the levels were good. So far running the defrosted has kept it from overheating and the oil pressure from dropping to zero but still unsure what it could be. Please Help

·
Registered
161 Posts
I'm just a BYM (Backyard mechanic) but I would concentrate on the loss of oil pressure. If your oil is not circulating like it supposed to, I'm sure it can cause the engine to overheat. You say you just bought it so I would definitely take it back to the dealer and let them try to figure out what is causing you to lose oil pressure. I'm sure others will chime in.

As far as overheating, you can go through the process of elimination...check the radiator cap to ensure it is working properly and the seal is good; check your belts, waterpump, thermostat and the coolant.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have an appointment with the dealer tomorrow. Just trying to have an idea since this is not a dodge dealer. I have been trying to tie everything together and thing that it might have something to do with the head gasket. Possible with things expanding when the engine heats ip.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have an appointment with the dealer tomorrow. Just trying to have an idea since this is not a dodge dealer. I have been trying to tie everything together and thing that it might have something to do with the head gasket. Possible with things expanding when the engine heats ip.
Glad to hear you made an appointment with the dealer. They sold it to you so if they cannot fix it, they should refer it out to someone who can...at their cost! If you have a blown head gasket then if you check your oil, 9 times out of 10 it will look milky!

Good luck! Keep us posted!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sent the day at the dealer yesterday... Overheating caused by defective thermostat. Oil pressure checked was told everything working fine. Thinking maybe needs engine flush but have read that it could do more damage....very confusing.... Might drop the oil pan and check oil pickup tube screen. Any thoughts?

·
Administrator
2009 Dodge Challenger R/T
2,555 Posts
My thoughts on the oil. Make sure you have the correct viscosity in it 1st. If you're overheating it could cause the oil to thin out and lower the pressure but I would not think it would drop to zero but you never know. I might would change it and keep an eye on it just to see if you're still having issues since they fixed your over heating problem.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Sent the day at the dealer yesterday... Overheating caused by defective thermostat. Oil pressure checked was told everything working fine. Thinking maybe needs engine flush but have read that it could do more damage....very confusing.... Might drop the oil pan and check oil pickup tube screen. Any thoughts?
That's good to hear...easy fix! :smileup:

My thoughts on the oil. Make sure you have the correct viscosity in it 1st. If you're overheating it could cause the oil to thin out and lower the pressure but I would not think it would drop to zero but you never know. I might would change it and keep an eye on it just to see if you're still having issues since they fixed your over heating problem.
I agree with Joe on this one! :smileup:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the help... thermostat seemed to fix the overheating problem.... temp was perfect all day. Oil pressure is a different story. Same thing ran good for 10 minutes then went down low and stayed.... twice though it dropped to zero for 2 seconds the back up to the low point.... someone said maybe a clogged oil tube screen.... not sure. ...any thoughts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Thanks for the help... thermostat seemed to fix the overheating problem.... temp was perfect all day. Oil pressure is a different story. Same thing ran good for 10 minutes then went down low and stayed.... twice though it dropped to zero for 2 seconds the back up to the low point.... someone said maybe a clogged oil tube screen.... not sure. ...any thoughts
Have you changed the oil and filter? And like Joe said, make sure you using the right oil.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have only owned the truck for 1 week. So no I have not. I was told by the mechanic that worked on the truck yesterday that he did and he only uses synthetic oil. Oil level is fine, I have been checking twice a day and does not appear to be bad

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have only owned the truck for 1 week. So no I have not. I was told by the mechanic that worked on the truck yesterday that he did and he only uses synthetic oil. Oil level is fine, I have been checking twice a day and does not appear to be bad
Did the mechanic that already worked on it and changed the oil, have any idea's?

·
Registered
115 Posts
is the oil pressure sender ok? take out oil pressure sender and screw in a gauge to see if you have pressure when hot ? some parts houses lend out tools for free ???

1 - 12 of 12 Posts