Dodge Durango Forum - Forums and Owners Club! banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i everyone, i'm new to the forum...i tried to search this, but can't find anything...not sure if i'm doing it right or not...anyway, i have an 05 4.7...when i bought the truck, about 3 days later, i hit a bump and the right side headlight went out...i moved it around but it didn't come back on, so i replaced the bulb and it worked...now, about 3 months later, the light went out again...i pulled off the lens and jiggled the wires...nothing, i pulled off the plug, pluged it back in and it went on...drove around and it was fine...turned off the truck and called it a day...the next morning, i turned on the lights and it was out again...once again, i pulled the plug off, sprayed cleaner inside and used a pack of that contact stuff, plugged it back in and it was fine...turned lights on and off and all seemed good...went into the house and left about an hour later, turned on the lights and again it's out...
it doesn't seem like a crossed wire problem or short because the truck doesn't even have to move and the light won't work...could it be the plug itself?...do i need to trace the wires all the way to the firewall?...the wires from the plug back are still in original loom and have never been molested from the look of it...

any ideas?...thanks everyone....

·
Administrator
2009 Dodge Challenger R/T
2,554 Posts
Cleaner may not be enough if the terminal is burnt inside the socket. The connection could be a little loose causing that issue. If you can get to it, may want to try and crimp it down a smidge and see if it helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cleaner may not be enough if the terminal is burnt inside the socket. The connection could be a little loose causing that issue. If you can get to it, may want to try and crimp it down a smidge and see if it helps.
i'll give it a shot...now if i change out the plug all together, how far back do i need to cut the wires from the old connector?....

·
Administrator
2009 Dodge Challenger R/T
2,554 Posts
I'd cut them close to give them as much length as possible. Be sure to solder all the connections and use some shrink wrap. This may not be your issue but it sure sounds like a bad connection being it's coming and going. You may have bought yourself a screwy bulb to.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I would try swapping the bulb from the other side to see if it is a bulb issue or not. If it still does it then replace the connector.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well, i changed the plug out...turned on the lights and it worked fine...re-installed the lens, while the light was still on, and still all was good...went back into the truck and turned the lights off...started the truck, turned the lights on,and surprise, surprise, the light didn't turn on...frustrated, i pulled the lens back off, and wiggled all the wires around, pulled out the plug, plugged it back in and nothing...so i twisted the light and as i pulled the whole unit out of the back of the lense, i turned on...:confused:this is driving me crazy...again, i put the light back in, reinstalled the lens while the light was on, banged on the lens and it staid on...turned the truck off, then back on and the light went off...what the &%$#...any ideas?...thanks....

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Did you try swapping the known good bulb from the other side to make sure it's not just a bulb problem?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I went one better...i bought a new silverstar bulb...i turned the lights on, and installed the bulb, and nothing...i was ready to take a hammer to the truck...so i went in and turned the lights off, then on and it came on...it's been on for days now and seems to work fine...i guess the truck just doesn't like the cheap $9 bulbs...it wants the $22 bulbs....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts