Dodge Durango Forum - Forums and Owners Club! banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
44k miles

I have a 2005 Durango Limited with the GPS and DVD. The ac control is the digital display with auto sense. Also has rear ac and heat. The ac works great plenty cold but if I take a long drive up to 2 hours the ac will cut off like no air is coming out. I put the fan on high and you can hear the air but none comes out the top vents just a little from the Bottom vent, it is cold but very little air like someone closed the blend door. Also no air from the rear ac which can be controlled from the front or the back controls.

If I stop the car and let sit for say 20 minutes engine off then restart the car and turn on the ac all works well again for the next couple of hours.
I have no problem driving around town with the ac on everything works well all speeds and directions.

No check engine lights or codes!!

Any suggestions what might this be

·
Registered
29 Posts
There is a tsb on that exact problem. not sure the number but live seen it posted

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Would someone have the part# and a picture location of this switch a dealer part# is ok also for the replacement of the AC cycling switch

thanks

I came across this bulletin has anyone done this and what wire and where is it located to add the 470 ohm resistor?

24-004-10 -2-
PARTS REQUIRED:
Qty. Part No. Description

1 68064996AA Kit, Resistor
Kit includes; 1 470 ohm resistor, 2 wire shrink wraps and
2 splice crimps.

REPAIR PROCEDURE:
1. Remove and disconnect the ATC or MTC control head. Follow the detailed service procedures
available in DealerCONNECT/TechCONNECT, Refer To Group 24 - Heating & Air Conditioning > Controls,
Front> Controls, A/C & Heater Removal Procedures.
2. Using the wiring diagrams available in DealerCONNECT/TechCONNECT locate the evaporator
temperature sensor signal wire. Cavity 10 of the C2 black 12 - way connector for ATC systems.
Cavity 2 of 20 - way black C1 connector for MTC systems.
3. Measure 76mm (3 inches) down from end of ATC/MTC connector and cut the evaporator temperature
sensor signal wire.
4. Using the 2 splice crimps and 2 wire shrink wraps from resistor kit p/n 68064996AA, splice in
the 470 ohm resistor. Follow the detailed wiring procedures available in DealerCONNECT/TechCONNECT,
Refer To the Wiring Tab > 8W-01 - Wiring Diagram Information > Wire > Standard Procedure.

NOTE: Be sure to use the splice crimps and shrink wrap on wires and resistor.

5. Install the ATC or MTC control head. Follow the detailed service procedures available in
DealerCONNECT/TechCONNECT, Refer To Group 24 - Heating & Air Conditioning
> Controls, Front> Controls, A/C & Heater Installation Procedures.
6. Using the wiTECH™ or StarSCAN® erase all DTC.

POLICY:
Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.

TIME ALLOWANCE:

Labor Operation No: Description
Amount

24-35-51-90 Kit, resistor install. (B)
0.4 Hrs.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hot Hot here in Boston.

I was out with the Durango in the driveway looking for the Low side switch for the AC. I just cant seem to find. I read in the manual that I have and looks like a temp probe is attached to the fins in side the firewall with the wires coming out and plugged into a harness that I presume connect to the AC to the compressor some how. I guess this would be the way the cycling is done sensing the temp to cycle the compressor. I could be wrong. I did find the High side pressure switch on the right side front with a 3 wire connector going to the AC radiator.

picture attached with the high side switch to the lower right

If there is a low side recycling switch can someone point me in the correct direction

thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I don't believe there is a low side pressure switch. The pressure switch on the high side is a low pressure cut-off. It's thee to protect the compressor in case your system leaks out the freon.
According to the TSB you posted, what you're looking for will be under the dash where the evaporator is. The temperature probe will be mounted directly to the evaporator under the dash.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Would I have to remove the dash to get to the temp probe. Looks like it is removed from the firewall in the engine compartment but you have to un clip the probe from the fins leading me to believe I have to remove the dash to get to the housing for this probe. Please correct me if I'm wrong

thanks

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
From what I'm reading... no. You don't have to remove the dash. The TSB says to measure back 3 inches from the black 12 wire connector on the back of the AC control module. The biggest issue I see is making sure you're on the right wire. I don't have the same model as you or I would just look and tell you which wire to cut. According to the TSB it's the wire going to pin 10. The wires are usually numbered like this...

1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12

Without looking at the connector, I don't know which wire is pin 1.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
The control module should be fairly easy to remove. Remove the dash bezel around the controls and remove the bolts holding the controls in place.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What you are talking about is to add the 470ohm resistor on the Digital display control ATC. I don't know either as to what wire to add this to. I read where this did nothing for the problem of cycling the compressor.

I was talking about replacing the actual Temperature thermo couple attached to the fins in the housing where the heater core is. I read in the Durango repair manual that this is removed from the engine compartment but states it is clipped to the fins in the ac housing. Me thinking the dash has to come off to get to unclip this temp sensor and then pull through the firewall from the engine compartment. This is what I have read in some post on the net that it is this temp sensor and kinda stupid on how it is installed. There is a rubber grommet on the firewall that has the wires through it and plugs to the wiring harness outside in the engine compartment but passes through the firewall through the fins and get clipped to one of them to detect the temp and then cycle the AC.

If this is the fix I probably will not do it. It only does this if I use the ac on a long trip of 2hrs or more. An will work again after 10-20 minutes of being off.

I hope someone else can chime in who has had this problem on this year and what was the fix.

I have read many people on the net having this problem but not a good described in detail fix.

thanks for your replies

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I found this TSB. It appears to be the same as the one you listed but it has a different part number. It also explains how it is supposed to solve the problem you are having.

SUBJECT:
No A/C Or Evaporator Freeze Up On Long Trips With Blower In Low Speed Position
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves adding a resistor 470 ohm resistor in the evaporator temperature
sensor signal circuit.
MODELS:
2004 - 2009 (HB) Durango
2007 - 2009 (HG) Aspen
NOTE: This bulletin applies to all HB/HG vehicles with A/C (sales code HAA or HAB
or HAF). This bulletin does not cover the 2009 HG HEV vehicle.
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customers may experience poor A/C, little to no A/C operation or reduced airflow from
the instrument panel vents. This condition often occurs after a extended drive cycle
(greater that 2 hours) with the A/C on and the blower speed is set to the low position. Once
the vehicle is shut off or the A/C is turned off for approximately 2 hours the A/C will operate
normally.
Adding the resistor to the evaporator temperature sensor signal wire allows the A/C
Compressor to cycle at a higher temperature more frequently to avoid this condition.
DIAGNOSIS:
Using a Scan Tool (wiTECH™ or StarSCAN®) with the appropriate Diagnostic Procedures
available in TechCONNECT, verify all A/C systems are functioning as designed. If DTC's
are present record them on the repair order and repair as necessary before proceeding
further with this bulletin.
If the above condition is present, perform the Repair Procedure.
NUMBER: 24-004-10
GROUP: Heating & Air
Conditioning
DATE: April 7, 2010
PARTS REQUIRED:
Qty. Part No. Description
1 68081530AA Kit, Resistor
Kit includes; 1 470 ohm resistor, 2 wire shrink wraps and
2 splice crimps.
REPAIR PROCEDURE:
1. Remove and disconnect the ATC or MTC control head. Follow the detailed service
procedures available in DealerCONNECT/TechCONNECT, Refer To Group 24 -
Heating & Air Conditioning > Controls, Front> Controls, A/C & Heater Removal
Procedures.
2. Using the wiring diagrams available in DealerCONNECT/TechCONNECT locate the
evaporator temperature sensor signal wire. Cavity 10 of the C2 black 12 - way
connector for ATC systems. Cavity 2 of 20 - way black C1 connector for MTC systems.
3. Measure 76mm (3 inches) down from end of ATC/MTC connector and cut the
evaporator temperature sensor signal wire.
4. Using the 2 splice crimps and 2 wire shrink wraps from resistor kit p/n 68064996AA,
splice in the 470 ohm resistor.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here is an update to my AC problem. Listed above on the TSB I did the mod with the 470 ohm resistor. I did find the correct plug and wire to add the resistor. The mod works, now my compressor is cycling about 7 seconds on and 7 seconds off and I can feel the difference inside the Durango no more Icicles from the ceiling. I would think you could change the value of the resistor and make the cycle faster or slower. On the schematic this resistor was installed in line with the temperature probe but added to a wire plugged into the digital AC control inside the car. This took all of less than 1 hour to get a solder iron and heat gun,solder, wire strippers and a piece of heat shrink if no H/S use tape. Remove the bezel on the radio and digital heat/AC control. I unplugged the 12 pin connector and found the wire that needed the resistor installed in line with the green/yellow wire #10 on the plug. Cut the wire soldered the wired to the resistor and heat shrink mod done.

If you need any help in finding the wire just email or respond to this post.

thanks for all the replies

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi

I popped the bezel with the AC control out but there are a few harnesses. How do I find the wire to splice in the resistor ?

Thanks!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Remove the bezel on the radio and digital heat/AC control. I unplugged the 12 pin connector and found the wire that needed the resistor installed in line with the green/yellow wire #10 on the plug. Cut the wire soldered the wired to the resistor and heat shrink mod done.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have had a similar problem with my 08 limited with electronic heat/ac. Fan gets slower and slower on high setting, then almost stops. Dealer has put 2 or 3 blower motors in the past 3/4 years. They keep telling me must have got a bad blower. First/original from factory lasted 3/4 years, then have had several changed out since then. I bought my Durango new (from Walters Chrysler Lenoir NC now closed) and have the extended factory warranty with 100.00 deduct. I have 2 Dodge dealers that are close to me. Nearest is Steve White Dodge Hickory NC. Anybody have issues with them? thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here is an update to my AC problem. Listed above on the TSB I did the mod with the 470 ohm resistor. I did find the correct plug and wire to add the resistor. The mod works, now my compressor is cycling about 7 seconds on and 7 seconds off and I can feel the difference inside the Durango no more Icicles from the ceiling. I would think you could change the value of the resistor and make the cycle faster or slower. On the schematic this resistor was installed in line with the temperature probe but added to a wire plugged into the digital AC control inside the car. This took all of less than 1 hour to get a solder iron and heat gun,solder, wire strippers and a piece of heat shrink if no H/S use tape. Remove the bezel on the radio and digital heat/AC control. I unplugged the 12 pin connector and found the wire that needed the resistor installed in line with the green/yellow wire #10 on the plug. Cut the wire soldered the wired to the resistor and heat shrink mod done.

If you need any help in finding the wire just email or respond to this post.

thanks for all the replies
Where is this cable located ? are there any pics available ? thank

·
Registered
1 Posts
I can confirm that the mod definitely works but forget the part number, I ordered part number twice and both times I got the wrong thing. Just order a 470 ohm 1 watt resistor on Amazon and get a pack of heat shrink from lowes or home depot. Very simple, loosen 2 screws under the bezel and pull bezel off. Then you need to disconnect 5 or 6 plugs to remove bezel completely. Find the plug that you disconnected from the climate control, not the one that goes to blower motor speed, its the other one. Instructions in bulletin are correct. Wire you are looking for is dark green with a blue stripe just like picture in earlier post. Cut it, slide over some heat shrink, solder in resistor, heat shrink entire resistor, cover with electric tape, put it back together. Worked perfectly

1 - 18 of 18 Posts