Dodge Durango Forum - Forums and Owners Club! banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the passenger side, the blend door gear seems to have rotated beyond the stop and jammed, so I am only able to get heat from any of the vents on passenger side

I am trying to figure out how to access the inside of the housing to reset the blend door so that it is in correct position and move the 90 degrees or so that it is intended. I can move the door only about 5 degrees by rotating the gear by hand. . .

Do I need to take entire dash apart to access, or is there some way in from the side that the actuator goes on?

Any guidance would be appreciated.

· Registered
2 Posts
I should also state that I already have removed the actuator itself and broken gear that attached to blend door gear. But have been trying to break the blend door loose without forcing it.
2011 Durango. My passenger blend door gets stuck so hot and cold dont work and the only way I can get it to break loose is to remove the acctuator and its gear, then move the little gear on the side of the door back and forth a little bit by hand and all of a sudden it will break free. Forcing it doesnt work, but many many times back and force just a tiny bit and it will give way. I have to do it 30-40 times! I also left the heat on high for a while to get the stuck rubber flange to loosen up a bit.
So I created a fix for the door sticking. I replaced my broken actuator gear with one from amazon but it still jams. The gear on the door wont rotate since it goes too far and then gets stuck because the rubber flaps designed to limit its rotation went bad and jams as it goes beyond the plastic edge designed to stop it and it cant get back. Replacing the broken gear but not fixing the stuck door will just jam it again. The motors will run and run whenever the car starts As the motor works against the stuck rotating door. Annoying.
the fix?? Two small screws. Screw one onto each end of the door gear. They act as a stop to prevent over rotation. Pull the gear out of the door and put screws in, put it back in and adjust the screws in or out to get it to rotate far but not too far to jam. Here is a picture.

Automotive tire Light Hood Bumper Motor vehicle

Gotta say. It works great! No more grinding motors or setting my gear to hot in winter and cold in summer! Its amazing. My Durango now has proper hot and cold from the passenger side. Good luck with your fix,

1 - 3 of 3 Posts