Dodge Durango Forum - Forums and Owners Club! banner

2011 Durango Crew AWD, 5.7, Stuck in Neutral

18K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Ralph 
#1 ·
I was driving my 2011 Durango yesterday and the information screen started to flash a message something about proper towing. The Neutral light on the console wash flashing. I wasn't towing or pulling anything but I pulled into a vacant lot and went thru the steps to shift in and out of low, but that did not help. I drove the car home and backed it into the carport to unload two wheels. When I went to move it, the "Neutral" light on the console was lit up, and the transmission would not shift into any gear.
It is stuck in neutral.
I tried pulling and replacing fuses, unhooking the battery cable. This did not reset anything.
When I went to put the car into Park, there was a gear grinding noise.
The Durango is sitting in the carport with the selector in Park but the transmission is not in Park. The vehicle will roll freely no matter if it is in Park, Drive, or Reverse. I had to apply the emergency brake to keep it from rolling away. It sounds like it wants to shift, but it won't go into any gear.
The so-called "Neutral" button on the console is now constantly red. I have read that the "button" is a switch, but it has never moved up and down. This particular vehicle does not have the little reset button like newer models have.
I would greatly appreciate any help or ideas.
Thank you.

See less See more
#3 ·
The problem was the Neutral button. When I would push on it nothing happened. It seemed as though the button was just a fake insert.
I finally took the top of the dash off and found that there was so much gunk/pop/candy/whatever spilled on it, the button wouldn't move.
I could see inside the device there was a small micro switch that did indeed move when the button was cleaned and freed up. Once I put it back together I was able to shift the AWD to low and back and everything returned to normal.

NOTE: I didn't mess with or clean the switch. I just cleaned the button so it would move up and down.

I hope this helps.

#5 ·
I am having the same issue with my 2011 Durango Citadel. The neutral button below the AWD / 4LO knob is pressed in and doesnt move. Almost as if a fake insert. I tried cleaning around the button to release it but hasnt worked. Does that pop off or out at all? How do you remove the center console to see.

#6 ·
The whole rectangular shaped AWD control module -- with knob and button(s) -- pops off. Use a small pry bar carefully if necessary. Unplug the wire harness underneath. Remove the 3 screws and open the module, making sure not to lose the 4 metal tabs that help keep everything in place. Look at the circuit board. The small white round button IS the button. Just press and release to check that the spring is still working. It should easily return to the up position. Now remove the button that is visible on the console -- it has a long piece of plastic that makes contact with the little white button. You may have to remove one of the metal tabs to get it out. Clean the sides of the plastic button, because this is probably where it gets stuck. Lubricate the sides with a little lithium grease. Re-assemble and make sure the whole button assembly moves freely up and down (it only moves a little), and especially that it pops back up. Plug in the wire harness and pop the module back into its place. Follow owner's manual instructions for getting that neutral red light to turn off and return your Durango to working condition.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.