Dodge Durango Forum - Forums and Owners Club! banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I bought a new 2011 Durango V6 and I love this SUV! It's awesome. However, I've noticed that the transmission is a real dog. The car has plenty of pep and shifts fine, if you're on a flat surface. If you intend on going up a hill, the transmission seems like it becomes confused and cannot figure out what gear to be in. Upon reaching an incline, I practically have to mash the gas pedal down in order for it to down shift. It seems to down shift fine, but then immediately shifts back into a higher gear. This routine occurs over and over again while going up any hill for a long period of time. Out of frustration, I started using the tip-tronic to down shift when needed. When I am cruising around 40-50 mph going up hill, the car tends to stay in 4th gear, so naturally when I need to down shift to 3rd, I hit the shifter down but it shifts all the way down to 2nd! While going 50 MPH, 2nd gear is obviously too low of a gear to be in. It completely skips 3rd.

Is anyone else having this issue?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Not at all. I was actually commenting on how my Dad's RAV4 is a dog while starting on a hill and the same kind of thing while cruising up a hill and was so proud of how the Durango didn't do it. I'd take it to the dealer (not sure if it will do much good) and at least have them plug in the STARSCAN and see if maybe there is an internal error or something. These are too nice for such an annoying flaw!

·
Registered
59 Posts
This tranny is definitely a dog :( I read somewhere that they are replacing it next year with a 6 speed that will have better spaced ratios, and get better gas mileage. I love my D, but there is no question the transmission has management issues. I have the V8, and with 360 hp this vehicle should be a lot quicker and more responsive. I'll bet with the new tranny it will be.

As for up-shifting so quickly, all cars are that way today for gas mileage reasons. I also use the tiptronic when I need to make something happen. And then I can! Because the engine has ample power.

·
Registered
27 Posts
8 Speed

The new tranny for 2012 will be an 8 speed. It is already announced for the 300 and the Charger RT. Our 2011s suffer with the 5 speed. There is very little difference between 2nd and 3rd.
All the press rave about the 2011 Durango except for the tranny. Oh well, nothing is perfect!:cool:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yea! I'm sure it will make a big difference, but I needed a vehicle now and the $4250 in rebates were too hard to pass up. I love it anyway.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the V8, and with 360 hp this vehicle should be a lot quicker and more responsive.
Not sure if this works on the Durango but on my Avenger you can re-calibrate the throttle response by turning the car to the "on" position, do not start it. once all the dash lights except the check engine light are off slowly and with consistent pressure press the gas pedal all the way to the floor taking approximately 15 seconds. This made a huge difference in the throttle response for my Avenger. Plus it's free so if someone wants to give it a shot and let us know if it works on the new Durangos as well. We have an '02 otherwise I would try it myself.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Good call, I've never heard of that. There were other tricks with my old Charger but this one is new. I am out to sea but will be home in 5 days so I'll try it then if nobody else has by then. Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Let me know if that works. I just test drove an express today and was a little disappointed, but love everything else about the new durango. Should be picking mine up this weekend.

Tim

·
Registered
1 Posts
Transmissions

Hello

Im from Switzerland and im driving a Citadel, i tried after 700miles to bring my transmissions on an agressive level.

Right now the durango transmissions work more better as the beginning..

I did more kickdowns and he are more agressive at the beginning.

The man where i bought the car told me:

With the time the Durango will understand you and he doesnt will transmissing so bad a not agressive he would be understandig you..

Did somebody know some about that?

I think something is true at this story.:D

·
Registered
30 Posts
Transmission not shifting

My 2012 Drango R/T AWD Hemi with the new 6 speed trans is not upshifting when I floor the gas at any speed, manual shifting is not working, drops into gear hard when shifting from reverse to drive and back, check engine light finally came on after half a day of this. Also its not recognizing the key when I'm sitting in the drivers seat (keyless start). All this with only 350 miles on it:( :mad:

·
Registered
949 Posts
5 speed? Isn't the '11 Durangos a 6 speed? I know that the '12s are. And they already are selling the LD/LX bodies with the 8 speed but only with the V6.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Hello

Im from Switzerland and im driving a Citadel, i tried after 700miles to bring my transmissions on an agressive level.

Right now the durango transmissions work more better as the beginning..

I did more kickdowns and he are more agressive at the beginning.

The man where i bought the car told me:

With the time the Durango will understand you and he doesnt will transmissing so bad a not agressive he would be understandig you..

Did somebody know some about that?

I think something is true at this story.:D
It's true. The transmission controller is adaptive. It learns your driving habits and adjusts shift points and firmness in an attempt to gain maximum fuel economy. I'm not sure if Diablo Sport makes a tuner for the new Durango yet. But if they do you can clear the data tables from time to time. I do it to my 06 Charger SRT8 and for a while it's like a whole new beast.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm used to crap trans in Dodge trucks.
My 92 Dakota was garbage
01 Ram not so great
05 Cummins handled 500hp well but was starting to go.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yes, Crhysler automotive group did announce that they are going manufacture an 8 speed transmission. Which that would be awesome to have on my durango heat. To be honest, with the VCT 6 speed transmission, theres minor shift hesitant. The V6 pentstar 300HP is a great package for this SUV, but you can never go wrong with a 5.7 RT. Are they going to produce an SRT version of the durango?

I wonder how much it will cost to convert transmission when it becomes available.

Justin
2011 Dodge Durango Heat

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ok the NAG1 behind the 3.6l pentastar is an awesome transmission. I've been a chrysler tech for four years and the earlier models of NAG1 had a common leak from the electrical connector that was fixed by a $15 part. All newer models don't have this concern. Never replaced or had to repair one of these bulletproof transmissions. The 545RFE behind the 5.7l HEMI is the same trans used behind the HEMI in the trucks. All of the cars use/used the NAG1 behind the HEMI. The NAG1 is truely impressive to me. How can you deny the 3.6 with the NAG1 when you can hit 80mph before coming out of 2nd?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ok the NAG1 behind the 3.6l pentastar is an awesome transmission. I've been a chrysler tech for four years and the earlier models of NAG1 had a common leak from the electrical connector that was fixed by a $15 part. All newer models don't have this concern. Never replaced or had to repair one of these bulletproof transmissions. The 545RFE behind the 5.7l HEMI is the same trans used behind the HEMI in the trucks. All of the cars use/used the NAG1 behind the HEMI. The NAG1 is truely impressive to me. How can you deny the 3.6 with the NAG1 when you can hit 80mph before coming out of 2nd?

Thanks for the post brother. My wife just had me chnge the order on her new Citadel to the V-6 due to the cost of gas. At first i was a little mad cause as a man i loves me some good ole American V-8 muscle. But the transmission issues i've read here still had me a bit worried. This is my first Dodge and i hope the tranny does us good.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts