Dodge Durango Forum - Forums and Owners Club! banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2012 Durango with Hemi has a new issue when coming to a stop from highway speeds, it will just stall (while it is still rolling). A good example of this is going 60 and taking an exit ramp. Or doing 60 and approaching stopped traffic. It's happened to me 5 times now and I've taken it to 2 dealers. Both dealers have not even tried anything yet to fix it.
This is a very dangerous problem because I need to bring the vehicle to a stop, put it in park, start it up, and go back on my way. Certainly putting me in a bit of a bind during heavy traffic. Otherwise the Durango purrs like a kitten. No problems at startup like others have had with the fuel pump electrical problem.
Any others out there with a similar problem in the past?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been in and out of the shop a couple more times. Right now I am driving around with a data capture device plugged in. They are hoping to capture data at the time of the stall. Problem is that it is very intermittent, only stalling every couple of weeks.

I've done further research and believe the most likely source of the problem is the TIPM starting to fail. Of course Chrysler doesn't want to put any parts in unless they have proof. Mechanics are way to dependent on computers telling them what to do today. Sometimes I hate what technology has done to us. I'm saying this and I'm a IT guy!

·
Administrator
2009 Dodge Challenger R/T
2,567 Posts
Not heard of this in a Durango. The Challengers had a spell were some would cut off during a slow turn like into a driveway or parking lot. Not sure if they ever figured it out.

·
Registered
115 Posts
any body have any problems with 2014 gps or travel link?travel link movie listings and sports are blocked while driving. have to stop car to view. sirius does not block any thing.gps if destination is on the left I arrive at the destination on the right and is off by 1/4 of a mile or if the destination is on the right the finale destination is on the left.my 2012 had on blocks and the gps worked fine.been to dealer and called dodge so many time they refuse to do anything more?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update: I had a "flight recorder" connected and the morning the dealer asked for it back, the Durango stalled twice that evening! I then moved on to escalating the problem further up the chain with Chrysler to the point where I was waiting on an appointment to be made with a regional expert tech. Customer Care insisted that my vehicle would be fixed to my satisfaction, I heard that several times. Then today I got a call from Customer Care stating that they were no longer going to look at the vehicle and the problem is a "characteristic of the vehicle". Well this "characteristic" almost got me rear-ended once already. Apparently they are not going to believe me until someone gets hurt or killed and then I will be just another number to them. Chrysler has the absolute worse customer care in the business today. I am not sure where "fixing it to my satisfaction" went.

I am hoping the local dealer will keep hanging in with me, but I am not optimistic.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not letting Chrysler off the hook. After I tried moving up the chain to complain that Cust Care was trying to blow off the stalling problem, I was finally assigned a new rep. She actually seems to know a little bit about cars. So the Durango is back in the shop. Of course the shop is still telling me that they are going to have a hard time diagnosing the stalling without "data" to support a solution. Bottom line is, I don't give a crap if it's hard. If Chrysler would let mechanics use their knowledge and intuition to solve the problem instead of relying on data collection to tell them how to do their job, this would have been fixed the 1st or 2nd time in the shop. I've been in the shop at least 7 times for the stalling problem and Chrysler hasn't even authorized 1 single part yet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a car that did the same thing. Drove Me crazy!

Check your air intake hose for cracks. I found a very small Crack that would cause the vacuum to be lost. It was real small, I found it with a flashlight. I replaced my hose and never stalled again. Good luck and hopefully this helps!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not letting Chrysler off the hook. After I tried moving up the chain to complain that Cust Care was trying to blow off the stalling problem, I was finally assigned a new rep. She actually seems to know a little bit about cars. So the Durango is back in the shop. Of course the shop is still telling me that they are going to have a hard time diagnosing the stalling without "data" to support a solution. Bottom line is, I don't give a crap if it's hard. If Chrysler would let mechanics use their knowledge and intuition to solve the problem instead of relying on data collection to tell them how to do their job, this would have been fixed the 1st or 2nd time in the shop. I've been in the shop at least 7 times for the stalling problem and Chrysler hasn't even authorized 1 single part yet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts