Dodge Durango Forum - Forums and Owners Club! banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1999 durango with the 5.9 V8 and it has 90,700 miles. I got a new fan belt last summer and through the winter it squeaked loudly when the engine was running. Mechanic checked it in january and said it was ok. A month later I had the belt replaced along with the harmonic balancer and had the auto tensioner checked. It solved the problem but now a few weeks later the belt squeals when I hit the gas and grinds occasionally at a stop light. Any thoughts on what I should do?
:confused:

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
My pocket knife, some goo gone and a rag. I scraped off what I could with my knife then sprayed the goo gone on and wiped it with the rag. Took a few times but it worked.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I fought with my durango for a couple years on squeeky belt. Just kept putting in a new belt. fanally decided to change the tensioner pully and idler pulley. still squeeked. Ended up being the water pump pully. From the sounds of it, the bearings go bad in the water pump with no other water pump symptoms and cause the pulley to shake slightly from side to side. this causes a slight slip of the belt on the back smooth side, and eventually it will squeek. a new belt will last a couple months with this condition until it starts squeeking. Make sure you replace with OEM water pump. I put an aftermarket in that caused the squeek again after about 4 months!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Still squeaking

The squeak has returned! I replaced the tensioner and idler pulley to no avail. The water pump was replaced back in the fall and squealed worse after. I replaced the belt which helped a little, but now it is back and occurs all the time and is the worst when it is moist/rainy/humid outside. I'm pretty sure it's the water pump from what I'm hearing from you guys. Bearing maybe? I don't know what to do at this point. I'm getting strange looks from this embarrassing squeak.:4-dontknow::hah::wow:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.