Dodge Durango Forum - Forums and Owners Club! banner

6 Speed Bump

6K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  BigNutz 
#1 ·
So as most of you guys have seen, I just got a 2012 V8 Crew with about 13,500 on it now. So I've been noticing something odd happening.

When I am cruising, and come to a complete stop, sit for a minute and then accelerate to go, I intermittently (6 out of 10 times) feel a little thunk, which sorta feels like it's coming from the back, but I'm not sure. I think the best way to describe is as it feels like a clutch suddenly grabs, and then off I go. I'm not accelerating hard, just gentle, normal accelerations. Weird....

I thought maybe it was brake calipers adjusting (my uncle had an Infinity that did that) but that would happen after you back up, and then go forward, right? Maybe it's a torque converter issue? I can't imagine it's normal.

#2 ·
Sounds familiar....

When it happens... how do you accelerate? Slowly or when you floor it? Also after you install the tune see if it's still doing it.

#4 ·
I'll have to do some research on that one. I do know that they show up on the MOPAR Magazine (got a subscription and that's were I get some of my info). Also, register for the MOPAR Owner's Center: https://www.moparownercenter.com/oc/US/en-us/sub/Pages/OwnersLogin.aspx Any recalls will be posted plus you can keep track of the maintenance that has been done and I think TSBs also.

#7 · (Edited)
I don't believe it measures incline but I'm not sure. Here's something from a Ram's owners manual.

Hill Start Assist (HSA)
The HSA system is designed to assist the driver in
launching a vehicle on an incline. HSA will maintain the
level of brake pressure the driver inputs for a short
duration once the driver takes his foot off of the brake
pedal. If the driver does not apply the throttle during this
short duration, the system will release brake pressure
and the vehicle will roll down the incline. The system will
release brake pressure in proportion to the amount of
throttle applied.
During operation, HSA will activate the brake control
system and a clicking noise may occur. If your foot is on
the brake pedal during operation you may feel a slight
pedal movement. The clicking and pedal movement is
normal and both will stop when HSA becomes inactive.

Personally, I don't see the usefullness of this feature unless you're an inexperienced driver with a manual transmission. I would turn it off.

#9 ·
I can see the Hill Assist being useful if you live somewhere like... ohhhh... St. Thomas, USVI where your practically driving up and down mountains all day long unless your by the beach. Also if your towing a trailer and you happen to stop on a steep hill (like right in front of my cousin's place in Dallas, GA... I'll let you guys know how that works in about a month)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.