Dodge Durango Forum - Forums and Owners Club! banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to change my trailer plug on my '03 Durango SLT from the 7 pin RV to a 4 wire flat for a couple of reasons. One, all I ever pull with my Durango is utility trailers that use the 4 flat; I do not and will not ever pull an RV or anything that requires the 7 pin RV plug that came OEM with it. Secondly, and main reason, I cannot get a 7 to 4 adapter to make a good enough connection to work consistently, so I just want to eliminate the 7 and make it a 4 wire connection at all times.

However, the issue I am having is, Dodge apparently used their own color code for the wiring to the RV plug, and I do not know which 4 wires coming from the Durango I need to connect to the white (ground), yellow (left turn), green (right turn), and brown (taillight) wires on my 4 flat one so that those functions will all work. The factory wiring from the Durango does not have any of those same solid colors at all, so I don't know what color wires do what coming off the Durango.

Can anyone help with this? Thanks.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I am trying to change my trailer plug on my '03 Durango SLT from the 7 pin RV to a 4 wire flat for a couple of reasons. One, all I ever pull with my Durango is utility trailers that use the 4 flat; I do not and will not ever pull an RV or anything that requires the 7 pin RV plug that came OEM with it. Secondly, and main reason, I cannot get a 7 to 4 adapter to make a good enough connection to work consistently, so I just want to eliminate the 7 and make it a 4 wire connection at all times.

However, the issue I am having is, Dodge apparently used their own color code for the wiring to the RV plug, and I do not know which 4 wires coming from the Durango I need to connect to the white (ground), yellow (left turn), green (right turn), and brown (taillight) wires on my 4 flat one so that those functions will all work. The factory wiring from the Durango does not have any of those same solid colors at all, so I don't know what color wires do what coming off the Durango.

Can anyone help with this? Thanks.
For those of you who don't have or never got the factory owners manual,
on page 183 of the 2003 owners manual is the chart with the factory trailer wiring color codes.
It is as follows:
Wire Color Function
Black- Ground Wire
Blue- Trailer Brake
Black/Orange- Tail & Running Lamps
Red/Black- Battery
Green/Red- Left Stop & Turn Signal
Brown/Red- Right Stop & Turn Signal
Violet/Black- Back-Up Lamps

It is also noted that the factory turn signal flasher is designed to handle only 4 additional lamps, of 32 candlepower each. 2 each side.
The flasher will not indicate if any of the triler lights have failed, so visual inspection of those lights is required.
:smileup:

·
Registered
16 Posts
For those of you who don't have or never got the factory owners manual,
on page 183 of the 2003 owners manual is the chart with the factory trailer wiring color codes.
It is as follows:
Wire Color Function
Black- Ground Wire
Blue- Trailer Brake
Black/Orange- Tail & Running Lamps
Red/Black- Battery
Green/Red- Left Stop & Turn Signal
Brown/Red- Right Stop & Turn Signal
Violet/Black- Back-Up Lamps

It is also noted that the factory turn signal flasher is designed to handle only 4 additional lamps, of 32 candlepower each. 2 each side.
The flasher will not indicate if any of the triler lights have failed, so visual inspection of those lights is required.
:smileup:
Is there an easy spot to tap into the wiring harness for a plug adapter? I scrounged a receiver hitch with plug from pick-n-pull but need help finding where to tap into the wiring...when I crawled under my 2001 Durango SLT+, where I thought I could tap into doesn't seem to exist...I want to use the factory 7 prong plug eventhough I know I will only need the flat 4 prong as everything I intend to tow has the 7 prong connector...and someday I will upgrade to the electric brakes and wire it the rest of the way in.

Thanks,

Steve

1 - 3 of 3 Posts