Dodge Durango Forum - Forums and Owners Club! banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody, I'm new here and need some help. My Durango died on me and wouldn't start again. I ended up changing the computer. I got a used one from a junkyard for $35 and it started right up. Now I have a couple cam sensor codes and some tranny codes. I've heard that the computer needs to be matched with the vin number and such, but I've also heard that it doesn't matter, as long as the engines are the same. The question I have is do I just need to shell out $200 for a new computer or do I just need a cam sensor? I don't wanna drive my Honda anymore lol. Thanks for any help

·
Registered
121 Posts
You did to take it to a dealer who can re-program the new-to-you computer to your car.
The usual charge is around $50.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well that's something that I thought too, but I called a few different dealerships and they all said that the PCM is vin specific and they can't reprogram it. Kinda like they were just trying to sell me a computer or something.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Well that's something that I thought too, but I called a few different dealerships and they all said that the PCM is vin specific and they can't reprogram it. Kinda like they were just trying to sell me a computer or something.
That reply to you is total B/S!
Answer this then, how do they program a new replacement if the old one has crapped out?or,
when they have a recall as they did called M38 to reprogram the tranny
shifting, how did they do that on existing ECM's?

Find another source who will do the basic reprogram on what you have.
:smileup:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah that's what I figured. I have a new cam sensor, distributor cap and rotor, so maybe those might help. I've heard that swapping any computer will work without reprogramming as long as the engines and trannys match.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
The main reason the dealer doesn't want to program your new pcm is because they can't verify the milage of your vehicle. That info is in the original pcm. That is also why they are VIN specific. You may also find that your key fob may no longer work for your power locks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Key fob works fine and when I had the old computer out, the mileage was still on the odometer. The milage is still the same as it was. I forgot to add that my Durango is running really rough and the tach is kinda bouncy. Does anybody know where the computer gets the engine speed signal from?

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
The cam position sensor is vital to engine management. If it is bad the engine can run very rough.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well it definitely runs rough. When I drove it to Autozone for them to check the codes, I could barely get up to 35. I didn't wanna floor it, but I got it there anyway

1 - 12 of 12 Posts