Dodge Durango Forum - Forums and Owners Club! banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another issue for my problem child '03 Durango... No matter what setting I put the vent selection on (i.e. floor, upper vents, combination, or defrost), air only comes out through the defrost vent on the top of the dash; the upper and floor vents don't appear to work or circulate air at all. The temperatures work fine, meaning if I choose A/C it gets good and cold, or the heat/defrost gets good and hot; just that it only puts it out from the defrost vent.

Has anyone seen or had this issue, and any idea what it might be or what I need to do to fix it? Thanks.....

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Sounds like a vacuum problem to the vent door actuator.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Air Vent Problem

I have a 2007 SUV, and I live in FL; so the a/c is on alot. About two years ago while traveling my a/c stopped blowing cold air from the dash vents. The fan was working and it seemed that I was getting air in the backseats. I stopped a checked to see if I could see a problem, but I didn't. A short time later the air started blowing through the vents again. It stayed good for the next two yrs.
This weekend it happened again. The a/c worked fine while enroute to Amelia Is. It was in the 90's and humid. On return it started out fine, but
then the vents were not blowing the air out. It seemed to be working in the rear. We stopped for awhile and then started out again, the vents began to work again. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THE PROBLEM MIGHT BE, AND IF SO WHAT SHOULD I LOOK FOR???????:confused:

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Here's a pic of the vacuum supply for the AC controls. The defrost selector is just a vacuum switch so there are several places for leaks. I would check that tee unter the hood first. It's the most common place for leaks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Vent Issue

I'm having the same problem. When every I change the blower direction in my '02 Durango, I can hear a slight popping sound for a second but the air will continue to blow through the defrost vents.

My engine compartment doesn't look like the one above. Here is a pic. Is this where my vacuum supply line is? And if so, how do I test it?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
That looks like the heater core hoses to me. Those carry warm coolant to the heat exchanger.

·
Registered
2 Posts
mine ;s a 2002 stx and the same problem, your pic is the same than mine and it locks to b the thin line above the arrow and goes into the firewall in the other end, but i haven't go deeper than that

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a 2007 SUV, and I live in FL; so the a/c is on alot. About two years ago while traveling my a/c stopped blowing cold air from the dash vents. The fan was working and it seemed that I was getting air in the backseats. I stopped a checked to see if I could see a problem, but I didn't. A short time later the air started blowing through the vents again. It stayed good for the next two yrs.
This weekend it happened again. The a/c worked fine while enroute to Amelia Is. It was in the 90's and humid. On return it started out fine, but
then the vents were not blowing the air out. It seemed to be working in the rear. We stopped for awhile and then started out again, the vents began to work again. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THE PROBLEM MIGHT BE, AND IF SO WHAT SHOULD I LOOK FOR???????:confused:
sounds like the AC is freezing up and when it melts off it works fine. The more you try to get cold air the worse it gets. Of course, you tend to only do that on the worst, most humid days right?
~ Use to happen to me when I lived in Pensacola with my '96 Lincoln Cont.~

Ya might have the AC system checked for leaks and/or serviced for refrigerant

·
Registered
6 Posts
Vent problems

I have a similar issue..

1998 slt 5.2 4x4, no rear A/C.

The A/C hasn't been working since I purchased the vehicle so I figured I'd look into it..

ended up replacing everything from the condenser to the fan motor...
when I put the HVAC box back in behind the dash, A/C worked great..except now it seems like the floor and defrost vents are on all the time and the last thing I want to do is pull the box back out but....

so I assumed it was probably a vacuum hose because I made sure everything went back in the box exactly the way it came out. I made sure I was getting a good vacuum from the black hose that goes into the firewall, and that was OK, but when I took the control knob panel off and pulled it apart ( a lot more complex than I was expecting..) there was white goo clogging the black hose and the little rubber piece that directs the vacuum to the actuators, so I figured I'd found the issue.. nope..

anybody know why/how there could be goo in it?

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I have a similar issue..

1998 slt 5.2 4x4, no rear A/C.

The A/C hasn't been working since I purchased the vehicle so I figured I'd look into it..

ended up replacing everything from the condenser to the fan motor...
when I put the HVAC box back in behind the dash, A/C worked great..except now it seems like the floor and defrost vents are on all the time and the last thing I want to do is pull the box back out but....

so I assumed it was probably a vacuum hose because I made sure everything went back in the box exactly the way it came out. I made sure I was getting a good vacuum from the black hose that goes into the firewall, and that was OK, but when I took the control knob panel off and pulled it apart ( a lot more complex than I was expecting..) there was white goo clogging the black hose and the little rubber piece that directs the vacuum to the actuators, so I figured I'd found the issue.. nope..

anybody know why/how there could be goo in it?
Never heard of goo in the vacuum system.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts