Dodge Durango Forum - Forums and Owners Club! banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to know if anyone has information about Dodge climate control systems. I'm only familiar with how other brands do it, so maybe I just need some info (and I hope it's not a problem). When in Auto mode with the temperature set, I find that the compressor turns off occasionally. My previous cars never turned off the compressor, but rather just backed off the fan to the lowest setting, and then added some ambient air. But the compressor never turned off. You can tell that's happening in my D because the smell and humidity of the air changes abruptly. The car never gets hot, but it sure seems strange. Is this normal for Dodge climate control systems?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I don't know about the new Durango. But my 06 Charger does turn the compressor on and off as temp is close to set point.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just picked up a 2011 D last week and find the a/c doesn't cool as much as I would like. A little concerned but will wait a couple more weeks before I head back to the dealer

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I find if I put it on recirc, the compressor never cuts off and it cools better. I guess it's all in the spirit of better gas mileage.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes it turns on and off by many variables. Why would one run all the time anyways? Seems like the evaporator would have problems freezing up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Stund33 if you don't have rear air it will not seem like it's cooling too good but once the temp does come on down it cools fine.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have no problem with the cooling capability, the system does the job. As for the freezing up, that's an old issue that is no longer relevant with newer (last 15 years) systems. My original idea that this is in the interest of saving gas may be the only good explaination. Otherwise turning off the compressor to the point of getting dank, un-humidified air in the car is not really a pleasant thing, and not all manufacturers do this. Of course considering the avg mpg of this car, this may be a necessary evil.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I haven't had a problem with a smell or even stale smell at all, although I can tell when the temp will vary some. Then again I just don't use the auto temp mode. I've used it maybe twice since last april.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've had issues with the A/C with my autostart feature. If I shut the car off with the A/C running at say 70 degrees on Auto, and then later in the day I try to use the autostart feature, sometimes I get in and it is blowing hot air, and there is no compressor running.
I don't get it. Shouldn't it continue to run the auto climate exactly as it was when the car is shut off?

·
Registered
10 Posts
On another forum I've read that this is a known problem Dodge is working on. A fix was supposed to be announced on 8/13, but it hasn't been yet. So I guess, stay tuned.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts