Dodge Durango Forum - Forums and Owners Club! banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so i have a 2001 Dodge Durango SLT with the 4.7l V8. The wife drove it the other day and she says that she had no issues and everything was normal. Two days ago we went to go to town; got in the durango and tried to start it, it would not start.
I have checked all the fuses, all the dash lights come on and go out as normal, the engine check light comes on immediately, there is no message or code in the odometer, I am not getting any codes when i do an OBDII scan, I bought a ES 190 relay buddy and tested all the relays they all tested good.
I am not hearing any relays click or the fuel pump when the key is turned on.
I could use some help.

·
Administrator
2009 Dodge Challenger R/T
2,553 Posts
If you're not hearing the fuel pump (provided you did before) I'd probably change the fuel pump relay anyway. Don't have a clue which one but I had one go bad in my Challenger. If that's not the problem, you'll have an extra just in case.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you're not hearing the fuel pump (provided you did before) I'd probably change the fuel pump relay anyway. Don't have a clue which one but I had one go bad in my Challenger. If that's not the problem, you'll have an extra just in case.
2001 is pretty old. I bet the fuel pump has failed. Not too hard to change, but mine would start sometimes. I figured it out one day when it wouldn't start, I smacked the fuel tank and it ran. Then I knew for sure it was the pump.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So after doing some more test, it lead me to suspecting the fuel pump as others have mentioned so i dropped the tank today and supplied power directly to the fuel pump. The pump made a quick growl and stopped, tried it again and got nothing. Pretty sure it is the fuel pump now so i've order a new one and when it gets here we will see what happens.
Some tips for dropping the tank: Remove the spare tire this will give you more room to work while disconnecting the fill and vent tubes from the tank. If you have fuel in the tank that you need to syphon this year of Durango has syphon protection so you'll have to syphon from the vent tube instead of the fill tube. The last tip i have is the fuel pump has a four pin connector; the two inner pins are for the fuel gage and the two outer pins are for the fuel pump.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fuel pump finally showed up yesterday afternoon got it installed and the durango back together. The rig seem to be running fine again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts