Dodge Durango Forum - Forums and Owners Club! banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The "SPAT Front Fascia" on my Durango SRT is cracked. (pic 1 below) I ordered a new one from Mopar parts giant and it is the part but I cannot get the old one off. It appears to be anchored by a type of push clip with a plastic round head on a metal pin. (pic 2) The back side of it appears to be a 3 tabbed metal clip that can spin around the metal pin. (pic 3)

Any help on how to get these fasteners out would be appreciated.
Thanks
Russell

pic1.jpg pic2.jpg pic3.jpg

·
Registered
2 Posts
I see its been a couple of months. Did you ever figure this out?

I actually have new parts coming to replace my SPATs tomorrow, both of them are damaged on my new to me 2019 Durango R/T. Based on what I have found they are plastic pop rivets effectively, plastic fingers with a metal center shaft. I plan to either cut the head off with a razor blade, or try very carefully drilling the heads off. I ordered replacement rivets with my new SPATs.

If I have any success in the coming days I'll try to respond here.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I got my SPAT replacments a few days ago and installed them. I was surprised to find the black portion of these is actually some sort of non-metalic metal, I suspect aluminum. The silver portion is steel, basically a pop rivet. I had to use a cut off wheel on a dremel to remove the mangled one. Do be carefull because if you generate too much heat cutting or drilling, it will melt the plastic bumper material... The remainder of the rivets I drilled out with a drill bit one size larger than the pre expanded black portion of the rivet, not the head diamerter. Drill SLOW! If you go too fast, you end up drilling right through the plastic bumper and end up with oversized holes, which may not hold as well as intended. All in all, install went fine. I did find I had to jack up the frame a little bit, not to the point the wheels came off the ground, to fit a drill under the bumper to drill out the rivets, so keep that in mind... Good Luck to all else that do this!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts