Dodge Durango Forum - Forums and Owners Club! banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, just bought the truck about 2 weeks ago. It's a 98 Durango, 5.9L, 4wheel drive. Love the truck but it recently started to act funny. The truck drives fine. If you stop after driving for a while, like at a gas station to get a soda or something, when you put it in reverse it dies. It will crank right back up. The first time it did this my wife was on her way home from work so I didn't really know what happened. The way she described it I thought maybe it was the battery. Went and had it tested, ended up buying a new one. Replaced both battery terminals while I was at it. Again today, it did the same thing to me, twice. First time I had left the truck running, come out put it in reverse and it died. Started right back up. About 2 hours later I was out and stopped to grab a soda, I shut it off this time. Came out started right up, shift into reverse and it died, then I started it right back up and it was fine. The check engine light is not on, however the brake light and ABS lights are lit up. Not sure if they are connected. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance to anybody who can help.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Wow... that is a new on on me. I've never heard of one dying simply because you put it in reverse.
As for the brake and ABS lights, this is a pretty common problem. Most find it an easy fix by replacing the speed sensor on top of the rear differential.
Good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, the truck dying in reverse seems to have everyone stumped. I had one person tell me today that it was the crank shaft position sensor. I figured that would trip the check engine light though, it did in my jeep anyway. So the speed sensor, is that hard to replace? Thanks for the help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.