Dodge Durango Forum - Forums and Owners Club! banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Flat towing/recreational towing

I am looking at purchasing a 2022/2023 dodge Durango RT with a two speed transfer case to flat tow behind a motorhome. I previously have used a 2014 jeep grand Cherokee. Can’t replace that vehicle with a new Jeep grand Cherokee because of the electronic power steering in those vehicles. It appears that the Dodge Durango 2022 or T equipped with the right transfer case has an available wiring harness to power the electronic power steering. Is anyone out there towing a newer dodge Durango RT flat behind a motorhome. Would love to hear from you. Interested to know if you are using the special wiring harness and if you have any problems with what is known as death wobble

· Registered
1 Posts

I am looking at purchasing a 2022/2023 dodge Durango RT with a two speed transfer case to flat tow behind a motorhome. I previously have used a 2014 jeep grand Cherokee. Can’t replace that vehicle with a new Jeep grand Cherokee because of the electronic power steering in those vehicles. It appears that the Dodge Durango 2022 or T equipped with the right transfer case has an available wiring harness to power the electronic power steering. Is anyone out there towing a newer dodge Durango RT flat behind a motorhome. Would love to hear from you. Interested to know if you are using the special wiring harness and if you have any problems with what is known as death wobble

· Registered
3 Posts

I just purchased a 22 Durango and am going down this road. Did you ever get an answer to your questions or install the kit? Any intel would be greatly apreciated!

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just purchased a 22 Durango and am going down this road. Did you ever get an answer to your questions or install the kit? Any intel would be greatly apreciated!
No we never got any replies from anyone doing flat towing with a newer Dodge Durango. Please let us know what your experience is. Also never bought the car.

· Registered
4 Posts
No we never got any replies from anyone doing flat towing with a newer Dodge Durango. Please let us know what your experience is. Also never bought the car.
I can't help you with specifics. We have a 2018 Durango R/T, purchased new. I had Torklift, in Kent, WA, mate it to our 38' diesel pusher (pneumatic brakes). Both the baseplate and the braking system were improvements from our previous "toad". The baseplate mounts are barely visible when not in use, and the braking equipment is installed in the engine compartment. It pulls the brake pedal, rather than pushing it from under the driver's seat. Wiring for the lights is well-hidden. We also had a power line installed from the motorhome's electrical system, to keep the car's battery charged.

The major challenge is the complicated procedure for connecting and disconnecting the car from the motorhome. I printed a copy of the procedures from the owner's manual. We use it as a checklist, with each of us confirming each step of the procedure. Everything is done from inside the car. Unlike the flat-towing procedures from many other vehicles, there are no speed restrictions or requirements to pull any fuses.

If you're not in the Seattle area, you might be able to at least have Torklift give you ideas. torkliftcentral.com

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
AJP thanks so much for your reply and information. I looked up your vehicle and it has electronic power steering. Have you had any problems with your vehicle tracking behind your motorhome on sharp turns. Is there a special wiring harness that powers your electronic power steering while towing?

· Registered
4 Posts
AJP thanks so much for your reply and information. I looked up your vehicle and it has electronic power steering. Have you had any problems with your vehicle tracking behind your motorhome on sharp turns. Is there a special wiring harness that powers your electronic power steering while towing?
The car does have electronic steering. To be brutally honest, there's nothing in the car that's a mechanical connection, any more. Steering, throttle, transmission, brakes, HVAC, etc. are all at the mercy of computers. I know that it has more than 100 embedded processors and at least a dozen data buses. As for the steering, I would think that electronic steering would be preferable for towing. Our Durango has no requirement for steering to be unlocked. Ignition is in the "Off" position for towing Our previous "Toad" was a 2012 Ford Escape. The steering needed to be unlocked for towing, or very bad things would happen!

The owner manual process for "Recreational Towing" is clear and well-written, but a bit lengthy. I strongly recommend printing a copy, and doing it as a two-person checklist evolution. You'll know when the gearbox connects and disconnects, as there's a pronounced "thump" that's both heard and felt. If you've not already done it, the electronic version of the user manual is available on Dodge's website. The built-in version (in the entertainment system) is basically worthless, IMO. Shortly after buying our Durango, I downloaded the PDF, and had it printed. For some purposes, having a PDF on a tablet is ideal, but for others, a paper version is better. When we lived in downtown Seattle, there was a print shop that I liked a lot. When we moved to the "burbs", my best option was a company in England. They do excellent work for very reasonable prices. Upload your PDF, and they mail the printed and bound version. Even better, your future orders usually have a 20% discount. www.print-my-pdf.com

As for "sharp turns", we've had no problems. Then again, we have a 38' motorhome, so "sharp" is a relative term.

If you've not done dinghy towing before, NEVER back up while connected, as it can cause big damage. One time, we needed to turn around, but there wasn't room to do it while connected. I had to disconnect, turn both vehicles separately, then re-connect. That was the fault of a Good Sam GPS, which had a flawed database.

I dunno about a special wiring harness. Torklift has a very good reputation, and I've been happy with all of the work that they've done for us. I gave away most of my auto repair tools when we sold our previous house. I lacked the tools, a suitable workspace, and the specialized knowledge to accomplish the task. I've seen some YouTube videos of people who did this as a DIY job, and there were lots of problems. Torklift needed our car for one day, and both vehicles for the second day. There have been no problems, and I love the awesome (and very expensive) auxiliary braking system. I suggest contacting them for ideas.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks again AJP you have been very helpful. We have been dinghy towing since 2004 with two jeeps I’m always in charge of the vehicle inside set up process and my husband does all the outside coupling. Glad to hear you’re not having any problems on sharp turns. We have a 43 foot diesel pusher energy grand Cherokee right now, and but still on us admits there are problems, towing a jeep grand Cherokee with the electronic power steering since 2016. Glad to hear you’re not having any problems with your Durango. I’ve read the procedure in the PDF manual and it’s very similar to what I’m doing on our jeep grand Cherokee now. Again thank you so much for your response. I knew someone had to be doing this, but I’ve been trying to get information from an actual person for over a year now. Now there are two of us on this forum who are looking for these answers. Hopefully the other party sees your post. Have a great day. Meme

· Registered
4 Posts
Thanks again AJP you have been very helpful. We have been dinghy towing since 2004 with two jeeps I’m always in charge of the vehicle inside set up process and my husband does all the outside coupling. Glad to hear you’re not having any problems on sharp turns. We have a 43 foot diesel pusher energy grand Cherokee right now, and but still on us admits there are problems, towing a jeep grand Cherokee with the electronic power steering since 2016. Glad to hear you’re not having any problems with your Durango. I’ve read the procedure in the PDF manual and it’s very similar to what I’m doing on our jeep grand Cherokee now. Again thank you so much for your response. I knew someone had to be doing this, but I’ve been trying to get information from an actual person for over a year now. Now there are two of us on this forum who are looking for these answers. Hopefully the other party sees your post. Have a great day. Meme
Good for you! It wasn't clear what your level of experience is. As you probably know, the Grand Cherokee and the Durango share most systems and the basic platform. If a V8 is important to you, move quickly, as FCA is phasing them out. Since we've no turning problems with a 38' motorhome, you certainly shouldn't, with a 43' one. I did learn the importance of having a quality tow bar. I discarded our inexpensive one, and bought a Falcon all-terrain one. It was worth the money!

Mechanically, our 2018 Duranto R/T has been great. The only exception has been some problems with the fuel filler pipe. It's been replaced twice, under warranty. It's still an occasional problem. Inverting the nozzle is our work-around. OTOH, many of the electronic systems have been garbage. We've had bizarre problems with the entertainment system. The radio was replaced twice. The dealer and FCA have been of zero help in resetting everything, including the Wi-Fi hotspot. However, that's now moot, because U-Connect changed software vendors. The new one managed to disable the Interconnection for a large number of vehicles. FCA/AT&T/U-Connect saw no reason to communicate about the problem to owners. I finally abandoned any hope of a solution, and plan to use cell phone Wi-Fi tethering while traveling.

We spent the extra money for the technology package, or whatever it's called. While some systems have been problematic, the Adaptive Cruise Control and the collision avoidance systems (including the parking lot one) have been great. I love the ACC, and use it about 95% of the time on highways. Good luck with your decision! Andy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts