Dodge Durango Forum - Forums and Owners Club! banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would like information on flat towing a new dodge Durango RT with AWD behind a motorhome. The manual says you can do this but would like to Hear from someone who is actually doing it. Dealers are hesitant to tell us this actually works. And we haven’t been able to get any help from Stellantis except what they read from a script. Hesitant to buy one for this purpose if it’s not proven to work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't believe the R/T AWD should be flat towed. It does not have a transfer case, which must be placed in neutral to avoid damage to the transmission. At lease mine doesn't, I have the TNG option.
Thanks for your response Maxreco. The owners manual says that it can be flat towed with a special wiring harness. But I haven’t found a dealership or service department who knows of anyone doing it. I’m not sure I trust the owners manual because newer jeep grand Cherokee‘s can no longer be flat towed without problems since 2016 but the owner manuals still say you can. The problem started when the vehicles were switched from hydraulic power steering to electronic power steering some years ago. When you flat tow behind a motorhome with a vehicle that has electronic power steering without some special wiring harness there’s no way to get power to the power steering and the vehicle won’t track behind the motorhome properly Causing a problem known as the death wobble. I’m trying to find someone with a newer Durango RT/AWD who has tried to Flat tow and can tell me what the results were.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts