Dodge Durango Forum - Forums and Owners Club! banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brought my Durango in for Inspection, had to have upper and lower ball joints and was told right front wheel bearing, so of course did it all and added left front wheel bearing. Not to long after got some vibration around 60 mph, and then started hearing a like tire wobble sound (out of balance like sound) coming from the front right side,when i turned left got like a tire rubbing sound (but its not the tire rubbing), doesnt do it turning right, bring it back in and they say the right front wheel bearing is faulty, so they replace it. Week later same noise, havent brought it back in yet, wondering if there is an issue causing this, maybe it isnt the wheel bearing..any insight would be appreciated.

Its a 99 Durango Slt plus, 5.9l, 4x4.

·
Registered
949 Posts
I do not know that much about the 1st Gens but... does it have a halfshaft? If so that could be it...

·
Registered
851 Posts
The first Gens have pressed in and sealed type bearings to the hub on the two wheel drive and if the spindle is no longer true the new bearings will be short lived. I will try and get some info for the four wheel drive owners be back soon !!

·
Registered
121 Posts
I too am having similar front-end issues with my newly purchased 2003 SLT 2WD.
I have been told that I need a complete rebuild of my front end, A-frames, bushings,
ball joints & bearings. One source recommends using Moog components only for quality and durability --- but prices are !!! $1100 - 1400, including labor.
Where can I find a Moog front-end rebuild kit?

·
Registered
1 Posts
front end rebuild

I researched this forum and others regarding ball joint issue with first gen Durango's and it is the most discussed forum. Lots of comments and suggestions on doing the work yourself. However, not one mentioned one simply thing, don't.
We attempted to replace ball joints and spent a day grinding and cutting and heating to no avail. After a quick search, the cost to simply replace the control arm with the bushings and ball joints already in place was not much more than the ball joints themselves. Do yourself a huge favor and just order the entire assembly and spend a fraction of your valuable time replacing the entire control arm. No renting special tools or car lifts required. Wish I had done that the first time. I, unfortunately, was forced to mix manufacturer components. Wanted to go with all MOOG products, but truck was out of service and was forced to buy from local stores and now have MOOG, Dorman and MasterPro products because I needed the truck up and running. Wasn't the plan and will not make the same mistake again. Truck is very smooth now with no creaking so not entirely disappointed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.