Dodge Durango Forum - Forums and Owners Club! banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just joined the site-like it alot!

My first Durango was a 2006 SLT 4.7 RWD that I picked up used. Can't stand leaving things alone so I installed an AirAid CAI, did a cat-back exhaust replacement, added a Flashpaq, redid the sound system and installed some bigger tires. The D ran like I added two more pistons to the engine-lots of fun to drive.

When it got close to 75K miles, figured it was time to trade it in while I still could get something for it. Saw the Dodge commercial and started doing research on the new D. In August I picked up a new 2011 Hemi R/T from a local lot. It had everything I wanted in the color and the black leather interior except for one thing-it had a sunroof which I didn't want-and they're damned expensive! Oh well, I couldn't wait so I took it.

It didn't take long for me to start gettin' the fever to do a few things to the R/T and I started with the exhaust system. Replaced the restrictive resonators with a pair of Gibson shorty mufflers (P/N 55142S) that fit perfectly and everything lined up like factory. They sound awesome at idle and normal speeds-not too loud but throaty and noticable. When I punch it-the R/T really comes alive and everyone can hear it!

Added a new AirAid replacement filter and box assembly. Super easy install-took about 15 minutes. The combination of the intake and exhaust fix made a HUUUUGE difference in the performance level of the R/T. Had to admit I was kinda dissapointed with the original level of performance of the R/T-I kinda felt my tweaked 06 would have given it a good run (which is kinda sad), but after the changes to the R/T it's really come alive now. Couldn't believe how restrictive the factory resonators and intake are. It's amazing what getting the air into and out of the engine faster does for performance-it's gotta inhale and exhale!!!

Wasn't happy with the factory "premium" Alpine sound system so I swapped the four door speakers for some Infinity reference speakers, replaced the subwoofer with a JBL sub, added a 700 watt amp and tied all the speakers together with a CleanSweep sound processor.

Added some T-Rex billet grilles to dress up the front of the vehicle and I think they made a big difference in improving the look of my R/T.

Worked a TON of overtime to be able to do this but it was worth it to me-I really love driving my R/T now!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, thanks for the props.

I wasn't too sure about the grill inserts until I installed them and drove to the Circle K for some soft drinks. Two guys in the parking lot came over and started asking me about my ride-thought it looked great.

I was sold after that!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.