Dodge Durango Forum - Forums and Owners Club! banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i see there are some other issues similar to mine. i have a 2000 durango slt 4.7L. not all the time, but sometimes usually after driving for a while, when i come to a stop, the idle jumps/surges from approximately 400-1100 rpms. the check engine light is not on, although i did replace an oxygen sensor recently. it sounds like it has a decent vacuum leak, more towards the drivers side back of the intake manifold. on another thread, someone said they replaced the gasket among other things but still didnt make a difference. any suggestions?

thanks

·
Administrator
2009 Dodge Challenger R/T
2,567 Posts
Two things I can think of. Clean the throttle body which includes the idle solenoid that screws to it. The other thing may be a crank sensor. The Dakota I had did that but it threw the code for it. I would pull up to a stop and the rpm's were just wild up & down.

·
Registered
24 Posts
easy fix. get a new IAC at autozone for arounf 60$. its located on the same side of the throttle body as the TPS. i believe its the module underneath the TPS

that or clean the throttle body. or clean the throttle body

·
Registered
2 Posts
2000 Dodge Durango SLT, 5.2 liter

I've had that same issue with the RPMs dropping and vehicle surging forward at stop lights. Occasionally it will die at idle, but restarts immediately. I have done a major tune up(plugs, wires, cap, rotor, distributor), cleaned throttle body, replaced throttle position sensor, crank sensor, and idle air control valve. Found a vacuum leak @throttle body gasket - replaced, but still persists. Replaced computer. This seemed to have helped for a day, but problem is still there.

I had a flow master muffler put on a couple years ago. About 6 months ago I noticed a rattle and verified it was from the flow master, so I had it warrantied. That surging and dying problem went away for a couple months, but has come back. I am at a loss here. I am a service manager at an auto repair shop and no one can figure this thing out, mostly because it is so random and won't act up long enough to allow for proper testing. Fortunately for me, I can buy parts at cost, install myself, and return if they don't fix the problem. I'm guessing there is probably either another intermittent vacuum leak, or head gasket/cracked head issue. I have researched with all of our shop tools and browsed numerous forums on the internet and I am still stuck with the same problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.