Dodge Durango Forum - Forums and Owners Club! banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New guy here. Let me start by saying I know there are "Upgrading" or swapping to an HD backup camera threads, but keep in mind the OEM camera on my 2014 Limited (and as far as I can tell even all the way up thru 2021) is an analog standard def camera and the interface into the Infotainment system is analog standard definition as well.
A true High Def camera signal would not work into the system.
So, my post here is for those wanting to have an inexpensive replacement for the OEM camera that will give you at least the same image quality but for a cost of only $25 and your time (2 to 3 hours) to make the additions to the OEM wiring harness if you are even mildly proficient at soldering and wiring.

The way I did this, it maintains the original 6 Pin Molex to 6 pin round connection harness that goes onto the OEM camera. This is so that you can always buy and reinstall the $100 plus OEM camera from Ebay if you don't like the end results. No cutting of the original wires is needed.
The new camera I bought (Will include the Amazon link at the end) fits perfectly into the existing mounting location hole that the lens of the original camera came thru. It has a glass outer lens so you wont be scratching it if you clean it correctly. I also modified the mounting location (Optional) so that if the new camera ever fails, I won't need to disassemble the rear door/tailgate and remove the tail light assembly again just to replace the camera.
Essentially you piggy back a good old RCA type video cable onto the OEM harness that the new generic camera hooks to, along with the 12 volt coaxial power cable that comes with the new camera. I am including a pic of the color coded pinouts that says 2021, but was exactly the same on my 2014 Limited.
So here goes... There is a white pin keeper in the 6 pin MOLEX that you can pop out of the connector that allows you to remove the female connections to solder the additional wires to. I would NOT recommend trying to splice into or solder to them without removing them first. Also you should only do one at a time to avoid confusing which one goes back where in the connector. Put the keeper back in after you are done. You will need a very thin small flat blade screwdriver or a needle to release the pins from the connector. The Center pin wire of the RCA cable gets added (soldered) onto the Green (GN) "Camera Signal" wire/pin. Afterward you push it back into the connector till it locks in. The Shield of the cable gets soldered to BOTH (Use an additional small wire to jumper them) the White (WH) "Camera Return", AND the uninsulated (SH) "Shield" wire/pin. Reinstall both when done. You will then add the two wire red/black power coaxial wires to the Red (RD) "Run Relay Output" wire/pin, and the Black (BH) "Ground" Pins.
Make the cable lengths the same as the OEM cable to go to the new camera. You will slit the corner of the original harnesses oval rubber grommet so that you can feed/protect the new RCA cable and power wires thru the tailgate to the tail light assembly (See pic).
Now this is optional, but if you want to modify the mounting (Still works for an OEM camera, but makes it easier to replace it again if need be.), here goes...
The protruded plastic section where the camera mounts, is held into the tail light assembly with just two small plastic welded (Melted) points at the outside corners. You can break them loose with a box cutter (See yellow circles in pic). Once its out, I cut off the two side ledges that keep it up in the tail light so that it can be taken out even while the tail light assembly is bolted into the tailgate/door (See Green circled areas in pic). To retain it in the tail light, you simply drill two small holes into the inner most (Rear) edge of the mounting piece and into the tail light (See red and blue circles in pics). Don't drill beyond the flange into the inner portion of the tail light housing. Use two short (1/8" to 3/16" length) small screws to retain the camera mount in the tail light assembly
Ignore the two additional holes/larger screws you see going into the bottom of the camera mount, as I had temp mounted an older backup camera bracket I had onto the mount.

As you can see in the final pic, the image quality looks as good as the original. This was at night onto a dark driveway. I was impressed with the low light sensitivity of this camera with no added I.R. lighting. The daytime image quality is much better than the attached nighttime image.
The only function that is different, is the target lines are the now the static internal ones of the new camera, and not the interactive lines that move and bend when you turn the steering wheel. Not a big deal for me. The red right angle lines ended up being 1 foot off the bumper.
Camera link:
www.amazon.com

Amazon.com: Reverse Backup Camera,RAAYOO L002 HD 170 Degree Wide View Angle Universal Car Front/Side/Rear View Camera,2 Installation Option,Removable Guildlines,Mirror Non-Mirror Image,12V only : Electronics
Amazon.com: Reverse Backup Camera, RAAYOO L002 HD 170 Degree Wide View Angle Universal Car Front/Side/Rear View Camera,2 Installation Option, Removable Guidelines, Mirror Non-Mirror Image,12V only : Electronics
www.amazon.com

Font Rectangle Circle Parallel Screenshot

Electrical wiring Engineering Cable Wood Wire

Hood Motor vehicle Wood Bumper Vehicle

Rectangle Trunk Automotive lighting Bumper Automotive exterior

Sleeve Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part Electric blue

Gas Auto part Fixture Metal Rectangle

Automotive tire Bumper Camera accessory Motor vehicle Camera lens

Mode of transport Gadget Display device Flat panel display Television
Gps navigation device Automotive navigation system Motor vehicle Automotive mirror Plant

·
Registered
2021 Durango R/T Tow n Go
2 Posts
New here too. Registered just now to thank you very much for the great write up.

I plan/hope to use some of the info you posted for a different project, interfacing a trailer rear view camera to our new 2021 Durango display (somehow:)). I’m quite handy with electronics, computers, Arduino, etc.

The goal would be able to switch Durango display between OEM backup camera and remote one on back of trailer. Maybe order OEM backup camera and/or just interface cable, ?PDT switch and/or relay and first try wired (CAT5?). We’ll see tho, lots of projects and not enough time ;/. Will post back if I pursue.
Anyway thanks again!

·
Registered
2022 Dodge Durango SRT
39 Posts
New here too. Registered just now to thank you very much for the great write up.

I plan/hope to use some of the info you posted for a different project, interfacing a trailer rear view camera to our new 2021 Durango display (somehow:)). I’m quite handy with electronics, computers, Arduino, etc.

The goal would be able to switch Durango display between OEM backup camera and remote one on back of trailer. Maybe order OEM backup camera and/or just interface cable, ?PDT switch and/or relay and first try wired (CAT5?). We’ll see tho, lots of projects and not enough time ;/. Will post back if I pursue.
Anyway thanks again!
I would like to add a front camera to my 2022 SRT I currently have on order. Would you have any idea how hard that would be?

·
Registered
2021 Durango R/T Tow n Go
2 Posts
If you’re talking about a front camera viewable through OEM display, sorry I do not.

My idea for trailer rear view camera is kinda simplistic because it’d just be intercepting the existing camera at its source/harness to swap to another of same type. Similar to the OPs approach “just” adding a manual switch in tailgate to swap between ‘em.
Maybe one could find a wireless camera receiver with output like OEM or 3rd party camera the OP used try to go wireless for the swapped in camera.

If however you’re just talking small dashcam into rear view mirror power, bet there’s info about that out there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts