Dodge Durango Forum - Forums and Owners Club! banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2002 Durango slt plus 4x4 w 157000 miles what should I replace right off the bat not really knowing the history of the car I know it needs new tires front brake pads and I'm planning on doing an oil change but what besides the obvious:4-jump1:

·
Registered
121 Posts
I just bought a 2002 Durango slt plus 4x4 w 157000 miles what should I replace right off the bat not really knowing the history of the car I know it needs new tires front brake pads and I'm planning on doing an oil change but what besides the obvious:4-jump1:
Have the front end completely checked out! I just bought my 03 with 180k miles on it and the whole front end needs to be rebuilt-- all the bushings are hard and worn out! Ball joints are known to be a bad wear-out item on these cars. Check all the suspension components.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I don't know how badly yours was beaten on in its life, but a rule of thumb for me is never assume they changed any fluids besides an oil change.. I do the trans, transfer case, both diffs and oil when I get a vehicle with substantial miles on it.
I also take a hard look at the brakes. This is my second Gen1 Durango and both had leaky stock wheel cylinders in the back.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Interestingly enough, I also just bought a 2002 SLT+ with 157K as well! I immediately had an oil change done with a motor flush. The flush was an additional $8 and lots of sludge came out. These engines (5.2s and 5.9s) are known to loose oil pressure and fail due to sludge. I would do this asap. I'm going to do it again in about 1000 miles. I then got inspected and all it needed was a battery hold down. A couple days later my left front caliper started sticking so I did a front brake job. New brake pads, rotors, and calipers.

I have a question for you:

When your engine is up to temp, where is the needle on the oil pressure gauge at idle? How about at 1500 or 2000 rpm? The 02 gauge has marks at the 1/4 and 3/4 marks but that is it. No numbers.

Thank

·
Registered
121 Posts
Oil Pressure gauge question

It is just 9:00 A.M. here, and read your note and comments about your recent acquiring of a 2002 Durango. Congratulations !
When you did your oil change and flush, you could have used a product called "Sea Foam". It does an excellent job of cleaning the engine internally.
Re: you oil pressure gauge ---- I had to go out and start mine to see!
On my 2003 with a 5.9L engine with 183,000 miles on it, the needle on that gauge goes straight up, to a 12o'clock position and stays there at idle and at 2000 rpm.
Yes you are correct, that gauge only has "tic" marks and no numbers.One as you said at the 1/4 of scale and the other @ 3/4 of scale. Mine reads
right smack in the middle!
You did the front brakes, but I'd check your front suspension as well.
Chrysler in their wisdom took out the grease fittings, so there is no way to relube the front end --- and they wear out! I redid mine with components that had Moog grease fittings--- but that is not cheap! Solves many problems tho----.:smiley_thumbs_up:

·
Registered
121 Posts
New Aquisition check-up

Interestingly enough, I also just bought a 2002 SLT+ with 157K as well! I immediately had an oil change done with a motor flush. The flush was an additional $8 and lots of sludge came out. These engines (5.2s and 5.9s) are known to loose oil pressure and fail due to sludge. I would do this asap. I'm going to do it again in about 1000 miles. I then got inspected and all it needed was a battery hold down. A couple days later my left front caliper started sticking so I did a front brake job. New brake pads, rotors, and calipers.

I have a question for you:

When your engine is up to temp, where is the needle on the oil pressure gauge at idle? How about at 1500 or 2000 rpm? The 02 gauge has marks at the 1/4 and 3/4 marks but that is it. No numbers.

Thank
You did not indicate what engine your new Durango has, just commented about sludge issues. I have not experienced that problem since I change oil on a regular basis and also use a product called "Sea Foam" for internal cleaning. Works for me ! :smileup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts