Dodge Durango Forum - Forums and Owners Club! banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Dodge Durango R/T
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, have 03 R/T and I’m wanting to lift it 3”. Do I need any other components than the shocks? I can’t find any non-stock a-arms, I was thinking I had to change them.

Can anyone help me out with information/links to parts. 3” is the most I would want. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey everyone, have 03 R/T and I’m wanting to lift it 3”. Do I need any other components than the shocks? I can’t find any non-stock a-arms, I was thinking I had to change them.

Can anyone help me out with information/links to parts. 3” is the most I would want. Thanks in advance!
I used a torsion/shackle kit from ebay, any will do. Day before you plan to install them PB Blaster the nuts and bolt a couple of times and again an hour before. Get the torsion bar unloading tool from autozone or oreilly's loner tools. You'll pay for it but will get your money back when you return it.

You will need longer shocks. I got the Tuff Country SX6000 twin tube shocks from suspensionconnection dot com. If you don't have one already you're going to need a breaker bar to crank on the new torsion key when installing.
Do the rear first and then try to match the height on the front. I just went by the gap between the tire and fender. After you drive it it will settle and you might need to adjust them again. I did it by myself, it is possible but try to get a buddy to help. I think that's about it. Let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck.
Suspension connection also has a 5.5 inch lift that I bought, if you want to clear 33s. I haven't installed mine yet, waiting on new wheels.

·
Registered
2003 Dodge Durango R/T
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Suspension connection also has a 5.5 inch lift that I bought, if you want to clear 33s. I haven't installed mine yet, waiting on new wheels.
I looked on the website, I see they have the shocks. But there wasn’t a lift for my Durango.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I looked on the website, I see they have the shocks. But there wasn’t a lift for my Durango.
This is the one I got.
Other things I have done to mine are a swaybar disconnect for the rear (you shouldn't do it to front), a front bumper from Blue Lake Offroad that I Raptor lined. A Flowmaster series 70 (quietest one they have) and added a Granatelli electronic exhaust cutout between the cat and muffler (very loud and aggressive). And installed a lot of budget friendly offroad lights. Let me know if you want any other tips.

·
Registered
2003 Dodge Durango R/T
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’m super interested in that cutout. I’ve never heard of this.. thought of it in mind but think it was real lol.

could you post a side pick to see how 5” look on the Durango

·
Registered
8 Posts
I’m super interested in that cutout. I’ve never heard of this.. thought of it in mind but think it was real lol.

could you post a side pick to see how 5” look on the Durango
I haven't installed the lift yet, it's sitting in my garage. I'm waiting until I get wheels for it, the rims specifically. Not easy to find 15x10s with our lug pattern 6X4.5 that are reasonably priced. I'll post some pictures of the exhaust cutout, and I'll take a video and try to upload it later.

·
Registered
2003 Dodge Durango R/T
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I really like that exhaust set up!

So I am planning on doing a 3” lift. I’m looking at these shocks right now:
Rancho RS9000XL front shocks
Rancho RS9000XL rear shocks

The confusion I’m having is I haven’t found larger (taller) springs. I need to replace my current springs, if I do the 3” lift, will stock springs work?

I also haven’t seen a labeled 3” set of A-Arms for upper and lower.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I really like that exhaust set up!

So I am planning on doing a 3” lift. I’m looking at these shocks right now:
Rancho RS9000XL front shocks
Rancho RS9000XL rear shocks

The confusion I’m having is I haven’t found larger (taller) springs. I need to replace my current springs, if I do the 3” lift, will stock springs work?

I also haven’t seen a labeled 3” set of A-Arms for upper and lower.
I believe your 2003 Durango has the same suspension as my 1999. Torsion bar on front and leaf springs in the rear. If that's the case a torsion key (front) shackle (rear) will work. You don't need to replace the a arms, maybe the bushings in them but that's about it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts