Dodge Durango Forum - Forums and Owners Club! banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which is better, limited-slip or locker. I'm wanting opinions (pros and cons) on both. I know I want more traction, I'm just not sure how I want to go about it. Any input would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
A full locker is for strictly off-road use. In a turn, the outside wheel spins faster than the inside wheel. A full locking differential will not allow this as it locks both sides together applying power to both wheels at all times. For on-road driving this will result in accellerated tire wear.
A limited slip diff applies power to both wheels but still allows one side to slip. So it's better traction than and open differential but not as good as a full locked one.

If what you're wanting is for part time off-road use I would recommend a selectable locker such as ARB. There are others but I can't think of the names right now. Essentially they allow you to manually engage the locking diff whenever full traction is needed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks tymont. I was thinking about putting an ARB air locker in the front and limited-slip in the back because I don't want to have to worry about engaging it if I run across some ice, like I did the other day leaving the parking lot at work. Does that combination usually work or would it be better the other way around?

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Depends on how much you are planning to off-road it. That combination works very well for the not quite hard core wheeler.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Trails, mud, snow. Not a lot of rock climbing, maybe some small ones or fallen trees if I come across them on the trail.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Sounds like a good setup for what you're going to use it for.

·
Registered
27 Posts
By the sound of it you should be good with a limited slip. The ARB's are nice but may be to much for your needs. Take a look at the Auburn limited slip I used one on my old 92 Dakota it worked well.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Trails, mud, snow. Not a lot of rock climbing, maybe some small ones or fallen trees if I come across them on the trail.
Ok, having read this. Is this your daily driver or play toy or both. The ARB would probally work well for you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, having read this. Is this your daily driver or play toy or both. The ARB would probally work well for you.
It is my daily driver but I live in central Iowa, so you never know what kind of terrain one might come across at any given time. And I'm always looking for places to go wheelin lol.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts