Dodge Durango Forum - Forums and Owners Club! banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just joined the forum so I could ask the experts here a question that the dealer sales people looked and me with blank faces. I am thinking of a 2012 or 13 Durango, probably the Citadel as it has every think I want.
First is the 2012 a BOF or UB.
Second is it AWD, 4WD or just rear wheel drive.
I got no answer to the first question, the second I got three answers for three salespeople, they kept calling another one in to give me an answer then said they would have to check with the service dept. I told them I had to go and got out of there and I will avoid the dealership like the plague.
Dodge web site says RWD and when I went to build a car there was no other option for either an AWD or 4WD but I may have missed it.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Welcome to the Z.
The new Durango is indeed a unibody construction. The Citadel is available in both RWD or AWD. If you get the Hemi the AWD comes with a low speed transfer case.

Here's a link to an excellent article describing the options.
http://www.automedia.com/2012_Dodge_Durango/rts20120101dd/1

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.
Good article, but raises a question or two.
First is the V8 available in other trim line besides the Citadel and the RT?
Second are the MPG mentioned real life, if not what could I expect from a V8?
The difference between 6&8 is only 2 MPG city, which I go by, as I get 15 now city and on the highway towing our camper trailer and I use Premium gas, so if these numbers are right I would be ahead of the game with the 8 rather than the 6 which my TV has now and have a little more punch when taking off from a stop at the base of a hill, something I have to do a lot of times coming home as we get to a main highway off of a secondary road, come to a dead stop and then have to pull out when nothing is near which sometime takes a while as my 6 will strain it's guts to get up to speed it that situation but otherwise tows just fine.Besides I like growl of a V8 compared to the nothing sound of a V6. Might be because I am codger and grew up driving flat head Fords as a kid and when I grow up I want another V8.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
According to Dodge's web site the V8 Hemi is available in all models except the SXT. The 6 speed auto trans will obviously help with fuel milage. But if milage is your main concern then the Hemi is not for you.
Here's a thread where several members have posted their milage. Perhaps it can help answer some of your questions.
http://www.durangoforumz.com/showthread.php?t=523

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not too concerned about MPG, as long as I can get 14 or 15 MPG using regular gas I will be happy. The biggest problem is when I am traveling I am at the mercy of the gas stations I fill up at, it they are using gas with ethanol I always get lower gas milage.
I should add that I have a bad attitude when it comes saving gas, in the 70's I said I don't care what it costs as long as I can get it, the same goes now. I may changed my attitude if gas gets to $6 a gallon or more.
The only other SUV we are interested it is the Toyota 4Runner. My wife leans towards it as she has a 97 Rav4 with 170k and has had no mechanical problems, we put a new clutch in it a 165k but outside of regular service, timing belts and brakes she has had not problems. Not even going to go into what I have spent on the last two MB's I have owned.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Personally, I've never thought it is a good idea to use a portion of our food supply for fuel. But that's beyond my control.
The way I see it, you don't buy a 7 passenger SUV with a V8 then complain that you get poor gas milage. lol I have never bought a car based on milage. I buy what I want. Fuel is required no matter what. Just like buying groceries. I don't have too much say in what the prices are, but I still have to have it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.