Dodge Durango Forum - Forums and Owners Club! banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in the Newbie Forum but I'm not sure I'll get any help there... And I hope this is the right section for my question. :4-dontknow:

Hello! New here, and I've given up searching the internet for answers as there are none, apparently. So I'm here to simply ask directly to get real answers.

I am asking the question for my boyfriend, since it's his car. We are in a time crunch and I need to find the answer for him ASAP.

About a year ago we were completely screwed over by a sketchy dealership who sold us this Durango. It was an emergency and we needed a car that day, they took advantage of that, and we were approved for "only one car on the lot." In reality, they just wanted to get rid of it, and knew we were young and dumb and needed a car. The car was not inspected or inspection ready and sold it to us anyway. We could not put tags on it because they never sent the money to the DMV that we paid FOR the registration. Therefore we can not get insurance because without large sums of money to repair the vehicle to get an inspection, we owe the DMV an enormous amount of money for the insurance lapse... blah blah blah... It's pretty terrible at the moment. Lesson learned.

Anyway, we put our heads and money together to order all the necessary parts to get the car up to par. I did a lot of research on my own to figure out why his reverse lights were not functioning, which would obviously fail the car. We checked the bulbs. Bulbs good. Checked the fuses. Fuses fine. Everything pointed to the Neutral Safety Switch, so we ordered it. It's here and ready to go, BUT. For the life of me I can not find out HOW to install the damn thing, or where it's located on the vehicle. We can't afford a mechanic to fix it and I've read it's possible to do in about an hour. But nobody wants to explain how.

So, to sum up, I need to know the location of the Neutral Safety Switch on a 2003 Dodge Durango 4.7 L SXT Sport 4x4, and I need a kind soul to explain to me as best they can how to replace it step by step. It's the only thing left that needs to be done, then we can get on a roll. I apologize for the novel, we just really need help.

I hope I can answer any questions about the car that I didn't specify if you need them.

·
Administrator
2009 Dodge Challenger R/T
2,547 Posts
Just looking at a pic of the switch looks like it has to be mounted on the transmission someplace. Not sure if you would have to drain it or not to install.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know it has to be on the transmission, in fact that's about all I know, besides what the switch does. I just don't know specifically where or how to do it. :(

·
Registered
16 Posts
I may be talking out of my ass but try close to the linkage on the tranny. If its not there and you are in a bind and need reverse lights asap. Jump the reverse lights through a toggle switch mounted near the driver somewhere. Thats if you are the one in the drivers seat going through the motions with an inspector telling you to hit the brakes, put it in reverse and so on. Then at least you will be legal for inspection and you can then start looking to fix your vehicle properly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you so much for your reply. We took it to the dealership out of desperation and discovered that the problem was actually the transmission range sensor. He warned us that the part was on backorder for six months, extremely expensive, and fairly rare. I set out determined to find it the next day. I finally found it for $400 at a Darcars and after hearing my situation he knocked the price down to $350. I ran like a chicken with it's head cut off to the Darcars at 3:30 pm, which closed at 4 pm and was a half hour away. I made it with 5 mins to spare and he knocked the price down another $10 out of the kindness of his heart. I definitely earned a best girlfriend ever award and was reminded of good Samaritans! But we now are stuck with paying the shop to put the part in. :( thank you all for your help, I'm sad it had to come down to that but at least we figured out the problem. You are great. I will always come hack here if I ever need help again! :wavey:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello. I decided to look for information on how to pay with bitcoins. Guys, you can advise the Cryptocurrency Blog where everything is written about it. Have you used this service Blog.Switchere? To accept bitcoin payments in my online store, I do not need to register or go through tedious document checks. They say that you can use one of your usual Bitcoin wallets and no one will block your money. And all incoming payments will be instantly transferred to the address you specified. This is how cryptocurrency processing should work!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts