Dodge Durango Forum - Forums and Owners Club! banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1999 5.2 Durango 4x4 with tilt wheel.

There is creaking or popping sound recently coming out of the column itself when i turn the wheel. It is not the intermediate shaft and I have just replaced it. This sound is actually coming from inside the vehicle someplace between the steering the wheel and intermediate shaft.

I have read dozens of post of people having this problem but no one that actually fixed it. I know there is a TSB for this fix on the non-tilting columns but it doesnt work on the tilt wheel. Doea any one have a fix this or any ideas??

Jason

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I've never heard of this. I'd be interested to know what you find out.

All I'd be able to suggest is remove the cover and turn the wheel back and forth to locate the exact spot of the noise. An automotive stethescope might be helpful for that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Take the four 10mm nuts off the airbag and remove the airbag. Check to see if the noise gets louder. The clocksprings make a lot of noise when they go bad and are really easy to replace.

Ron

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.