Dodge Durango Forum - Forums and Owners Club! banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Glad to find this. We are Upgrading from a pop-up camper towed by an Outback to a 19 ft trailer, in the 3500 to 4500 GVWR range.

No way do I want to use the Subaru Ascent, at 5000 tow limit.

A late model Durango looks like a great alternative, with decent mileage and high tow limit ratings.

We live in the mid-Atlantic and do a lot of mountain area camping.

1) How do I determine what tow package and weight limits are on the Durango. I am considering 2018 to 2020 model year. Apparently, they come with a wide range, so I need to get the right package.

2) WHO IS TOWING 19 foot trailer in that range, and how does it go? What;s your real gas mileage, and any issues?

THANKS

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a 2014 Durango, V8, AWD with tow package. The rating is 7200 lbs, with 2WD the rating is 7,400 lbs. The V6 is 6,000 lbs, I believe. I tow a 1979 23 foot Airstream and get from 13 to 15 MPG towing at 58 MPH.

Bill

Hi all,

Glad to find this. We are Upgrading from a pop-up camper towed by an Outback to a 19 ft trailer, in the 3500 to 4500 GVWR range.

No way do I want to use the Subaru Ascent, at 5000 tow limit.

A late model Durango looks like a great alternative, with decent mileage and high tow limit ratings.

We live in the mid-Atlantic and do a lot of mountain area camping.

1) How do I determine what tow package and weight limits are on the Durango. I am considering 2018 to 2020 model year. Apparently, they come with a wide range, so I need to get the right package.

2) WHO IS TOWING 19 foot trailer in that range, and how does it go? What;s your real gas mileage, and any issues?

THANKS

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
THANKS! That sounds like reasonable mileage for a V8.

Your Airstream rig is quite a bit heavier that what I plan to pull, so maybe the v6 will work and maybe get better mileage, as we plan to use it a lot, on a lot of 4 to 6 hour trips. I'd like to get into the 20 mpg range but that is maybe fantasy.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am very happy with the mileage towing and not. You will do better with the V6, just make sure you have the tow package for the wiring and other goodies. My DIL has a Ram 1500 2WD with V8 and she gets about 1 MPG better then my Durango. The 8 speed transmission is great. The GVW on the Airstream is 5,900 lbs.

Bill

THANKS! That sounds like reasonable mileage for a V8.

Your Airstream rig is quite a bit heavier that what I plan to pull, so maybe the v6 will work and maybe get better mileage, as we plan to use it a lot, on a lot of 4 to 6 hour trips. I'd like to get into the 20 mpg range but that is maybe fantasy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey. Was trying to figure out a WDH, either bar or chain style? Getting ready to pick up a new Forest River 2109S with my 2020 GT. Need some advice to anyone who has experienced either style please?
thank you

1 - 5 of 5 Posts